City offers wide array of events for students, community

Some students might be focused on getting work done this summer, but that doesn’t mean they can’t take advantage of the variety of attractions the city offers.

Parks and Recreation offers a lot of different activites in the summer that aren’t normally offered during the academic year, said Amber Chang, special events coordinator.

The pool at City Park and a volleyball league tournament at Carter Park in July give students a good opportunity to get away from the stresses of school, Chang said.

City Park also hosts a concert series every Sunday starting at 7 p.m. on June 10 at the Needle Hall Stage, she said.

For those looking for a good time in the water and not willing to travel far, Portage Quarry Recreation Club is roughly a mile south of downtown.

“The quarry is an escape for the students of BGSU,” said owner Jeff Rice.

They can get a tropical tatse of the island style that makes for a nice time, Rice said.

The quarry offers a full beach for swimming, scuba diving, camping and volleyball, he said. The quarry opens Memorial Day weekend.

If students want a more familiar experience, downtown still offers the same entertainment and then some.

Downtown is definitely a different atmosphere in the summer, said Barbara Ruland, director of Downtown Bowling Green.

“It’s much quieter and a pleasant place to be on a summer evening,” Ruland said.

Downtown hosts a weekly Farmers’ Market on Wednesdays along with live music, she said.

Later in the summer, the Classics on Main car show in July attracts a lot of people, featuring cars from all eras, Ruland said.

The downtown entertainment keeps going with its regular schedule of events at Cla-Zel, Grumpy Dave’s Pub and Grounds For Thought, she said.

Banan Alkilani, general manager of the Cla-Zel, said Club Kiss continues on Fridays and Saturdays in the summer.

“Some students leave, but we continue to be busy,” Alkilani said. “People from the surrounding areas come out more because it’s more comfortable.”

Cla-Zel also hosts concerts and June 7, Badfish, a Sublime tribute band, will be playing a show, he said.

For a more relaxed atmosphere of entertainment, students can turn to Grounds For Thought.

“People have a more relaxed feel because they aren’t in to study, but enjoy the atmosphere,” said manager Aimi Bouillon.

Grounds also hosts live shows once a month with John Jorgensen playing

June 22.

Grumpy Dave’s Pub, located above Easy Street Cafe, offers live shows and live comedy shows.

“We’ve got a nice, comfortable atmophere and we do something different every night,” said owner “Grumpy” Dave Harper.

The Pub hosts a free euchre tournament on Mondays; a live comedy show featuring local and national comedians on Tuesday; free musical presentations on Wednesday; karaoke on Thursday; and a mix of karaoke and music on Friday and Saturday, Harper said.

Summer gives students the opportunity to do things and go places they couldn’t during the regular school year, Ruland said.

“One of the interesting things about town is that it is two different places during the day and night and there is always something going on down here,” Ruland said. “I always find the more you know about a place, the more you feel connected.”

Checklist

Win the Volleyball tournament

Go skuba diving at the quarry

Go to a concert at Cla-Zel

Visit the Farmer’s Market

Go see a live comedy show

Catch up on summer reading

Check out the Classics on Main car show

For more information:

Activities and attractions

visitbgohio.org

downtownbgohio.org

portagequarry.com

clazel.net

grumpdavespub.com

bgohio.org/departments/parks-and-recreation/programs/sports

Upcoming events

Farmer’s Market: Every Wednesday 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. Huntington parking lot

Grumpy Daves Comedy: Mimi Gonzalez May 22 at 9 p.m. $3 with student ID

Portage Quarry: Opens May 26 $5 admission

Bad Fish: June 7 at Cla-Zel 7 p.m. $15 advance

John Jorgensen quintet concert: June 22 at Grounds

Classics on Main car show: July 14 Downtown noon

Beach Bum volleyball tournament: July 21 Carter Park – Register by May 20 – call 419 354-6223