High waist, high fashion

High waist, high fashion

Spring trends and fresh new fits just keep rolling along. Thursday kicked off Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, and designers like BCBG Max Azria and Candela featured haute couture pieces that stole the show. Lace was a main detail that consistently accompanied each models’ ensemble. Patterns included floral print, tulle, velvets and edgy strips of leather. Keep up with the latest looks by visiting Youtube to follow live coverage of collections, beginning at 9 a.m. and running until 5 p.m. from Feb. 9 to Feb. 16. Vogue claims the designers to watch this year include Lela Rose, General Idea and Charlotte Ronson.

As Bowling Green’s fashionistas translate high fashion runway looks to campus style lounge wear, one spring trend stands out and seems to be the next big thing. High-waist, distressed denim is to be worn by all stylish students. The denim shorts are fitted to be worn against the belly button, showing off long legs and statement-making shoes. The shorts are often accompanied by ombre dyes, studs and colorful fades.

The vintage-chic shorts can be ordered on high-end websites like SaboSkirt.com, which feature the bottoms for an average of $140 complete with innovative accents. If you choose to abide by the college budget, check out designers BajuesBest & Vagrant Vintage. Both create well made, beautifully designed shorts and other denim products complete with colorful patterns and accents. These pairs range from $40 to $60, which is far more reasonable. To contact the designers, check out their collections found on www.etsy.com/shop/VagrantVintageCo and www.etsy.com/shop/BajuesBest. Send a photo of yourself in a pair of high waist denim to [email protected] to be featured in an end of spring “Best Trends” wrap up article.