BG baseball team swept in season-opening doubleheader

The BG baseball team started its season off on a sour note, losing both games it played.

In a Saturday doubleheader, the Falcons lost to Kansas, 3-1, and Saint Louis, 6-1.

The Falcons struggled offensively in both games, getting only seven runners on base against the Jayhawks, and reaching base nine times against the Billikens.

Logan Walker was the Falcons’ most efficient hitter, combining to go 4-for-8 in the two games. Tyler Wynn also had a strong weekend, going 2-for-7 with a walk, an RBI and a run scored.

The Falcons got on the board first against Kansas, scoring in the top of the fourth on an RBI single by T.J. Losby that drove in Wynn.

However, the Jayhawks answered in the fifth inning with a single run to tie the game, and went ahead with two runs in the seventh against BG reliever Ben Singer.

Cody Apthorpe took the mound for BG to start the first game. He pitched well, despite some fits of wildness. He gave up one run on two hits in five innings. However, he walked five batters, to go along with four strikeouts.

In the second game, Saint Louis scored immediately, getting two runs in the first against BG starter Ethan Mckenney. He ended up going four innings, allowing four runs on seven hits and two walks.

Six different pitchers – Singer, Nick Bruns, Patrick Martin, Trevor Blaylock, Matt Malewitz and Jason Link – pitched in relief for the Falcons in the two games. Bruns, Martin and Link each has scoreless outings.

The Falcons will be in action next this weekend, as they head to Stillwater, Okla. for a three-game set against Oklahoma State.