Resolution aims to stop the National Defense Authorization Act; students start at city council meeting

Two weeks ago, freshman Daniel Johnson spearheaded an anti-legislation resolution at city council, lobbying against the National Defense Authorization Act.

One provision of the NDAA allows for the military detention of an American citizen suspected of terrorism without a trial.

Johnson said the law is ridiculous, it rips the Bill of Rights to shreds so easily.

Johnson, leader of the student group People Against the National Defense Authorization Act, asked council to claim the act unlawful and prohibit any city official to cooperate with a military investigation or detention of a student or citizen.

After mulling it over for two weeks, city officials and council members questioned the effect the proposed resolution would have.

Federal law supersedes state law and state law supersedes local law, City Attorney Michael Marsh said.

Marsh said he assumes PANDAA’s actions are more to send a message to the government about changing the law.

City council doesn’t have the authority to impede the military on an investigation, said John Zanfardino, second ward incumbent and council president.

Zanfardino said he emailed Johnson to better clarify his reasoning for not acting on the proposed resolution.

“I like that students are passionate about this, but I’m not sure if this is the right forum to do this,” said senior and First Ward incumbent Daniel Gordon.

This is not the place to start a movement; they would have to speak directly to Congress if they want the law changed, Gordon said.

If the council believes they’ll have no effect on the law, the argument is moot because the law has already been banned in Northhampton, Maine, Johnson said.

Similar acts are currently going through the Washington, Virginia and Rhode Island legislatures to strike down that part of the NDAA, he said.

Other officials agreed PANDAA approached the issue the wrong way.

In an email directed to Zanfardino, other city council members and Johnson, Mayor Richard Edwards said, “It is unfortunate that some students either missed taking Government 160 or have forgotten the basic framework of our national government. But it is our ‘role’ in some respects to help them understand how government works (local, state, federal) and how they might best and most appropriately redirect their voices. I applaud your forthrightness and your willingness to help the students in the learning process.”

Johnson forwarded the email to members of PANDAA to use as a rallying point for Tuesday’s meeting.

“So it seems like a rejection from council and an insult from the mayor,” Johnson said.

Edwards said he respects the fact that the students are sincere and genuine about the topic, but this is not something to be directed at the local government.

The best approach would be to contact Ohio senators Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman, he said.

As city officials, members take an oath to uphold the constitution and support all laws, state and federal, Edwards said.

This is just one small aspect of an act that sets defense spending for the country, he said.

PANDAA plans to bring between 100 and 150 students to Tuesday’s meeting in support of their cause, regardless of city councils actions.

Johnson said the group is going to attack the issue from different angles.

If council doesn’t introduce the resolution, it won’t stop PANDAA, Johnson said.

Johnson said the group will discuss future strategies if the resolution doesn’t get introduced at council.

“Our message isn’t so much for the government as it is for the American people,” Johnson said. “We know you hate this law and you can do something about it; there is hope.”