BG hockey to play No. 1 Ferris State after weekend sweep

unknown

Ted Pletsch, BG forward, races an Ohio State opponent to the puck. BG beat the Buckeyes earlier this season with back-to-back shootout wins at home.

The BG hockey team has had success the past couple of weeks. But this last weekend, it ran into the buzzsaw that was Northern Michigan.

The Falcons got swept at home and are looking to respond this weekend, but once again it will not be easy, with No. 1 Ferris State looming.

Coach Chris Bergeron said his team may have been looking at the standings instead of focusing solely on the Wildcats.

“We didn’t handle success very well and last weekend we ran into a hot goalie,” Bergeron said.

Not a Positive Streak

BG is still currently on a seven-game power-play goal drought. The Falcons haven’t scored a power-play goal in almost a month, with the last one coming against Alaska on Jan. 20.

The Falcons rank last in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association, scoring only on 9.9 percent of their power-play chances. BG is also 0-30 on the power-play during the streak.

Carpenter in the Lead

Freshman Ryan Carpenter is currently fifth in overall rookie scoring in the CCHA with 20 points on the season.

He also leads BG in the point department. He is the first Falcon to score 20 points since Jordan Samuels-Thomas scored 21 points this past season.

Facing No. 1

The last time the Falcons defeated the No. 1 team in the nation was in the 2007-08 season.

They beat Miami 4-2 in the Ice Arena with a two-goal effort by Jordan Cepis. Goalie Jimmy Spratt stopped 25-of-27 shots.

Struggles against the Bulldogs

Junior goalie Andrew Hammond is still winless against the Bulldogs in his career (0-3-0) with a 4.69 goals-against-average.

The Falcons are on a six-game losing streak to Ferris State, dating back to 2009. BG hasn’t won at Ferris State since the 2007 season in a 3-1 win.

Four players on the current roster are tied with two career points against the Bulldogs. Bryce Williamson has two goals against them, which leads the team.