After loss, Zimmann plans to continue serving community

Although Angela Zimmann hoped she would win a seat in the U.S. House, she is content with continuing on and doing what she loves.

“My whole platform was to serve the community,” she said. “I’ve been honored to be a candidate and am overwhelmed by the amount of support I received.”

The University instructor and Democratic candidate lost to Republican Incumbent Bob Latta by 57.24 percent(186,473 votes) to 39.31 percent (128,579 votes). All precincts in district five were reporting 100 percent except Lucas, Van Wert, Wood and Wyandot, according to the Ohio Secretary of State website.

In Wood County, Latta won 51.8 percent to Zimmann’s 44.39 percent.

“I wish we would have had a debate, but that’s all in the past now,” she said. “It was an incredible race.”

Zimmann said her future now lies in the opportunities outside of running for Congress.

“I will serve in whatever capacity I can,” she said. “It depends on what opportunities comes up.”

Those opportunities include continuing to serve as a Lutheran pastor and returning to the University in January to teach General Studies Writing.

“I look forward to being back with my students,” she said.

Those students, and everyone else who helped out with the campaign, made the loss easier, she said.

“Over 100,000 people voted for me and believed in this,” she said. “I have no regrets.”

Although Zimmann will not get a chance to be a member of Congress, she said she enjoyed meeting people around the district and working with her campaign staff.

Members of the Zimmann campaign included student volunteers from the University and members of the surrounding communities.

Volunteer Nicole D’Agostino said her young son Jonathan had a unique way of showing his support when he went trick-or-treating this past week.

“He refused to go into any houses with Romney or Latta signs,” D’Agostino said.

Jonathan was not alone in his loyalty to Zimmann.

Chuck Massarolo interned with the campaign and said Zimmann would have represented the 5th district well if she had won.

“I think she would have been a great fit for the district,” he said. “She would have done a great job in DC.”

Going against Latta was a tough job to take on, he said.

“When you’re going against the most conservative person in the U.S. House, it’d be a good fight,” he said.

Massarolo thought Zimmann fought well and will keep fighting in other areas.

“She had a really good fight,” he said. “You got to be proud of what she’s done.”

Zimmann said she was proud of herself, but was prouder of her staff.

“My entire staff was just amazing,” she said. “We grew really close and we’ve all learned so much.”