Interactive maps provide useful tool for people on campus

New touch screen maps have been placed in the Union as a way to help students navigate campus.

Touch screen campus maps are now located in the Union as a new way to navigate the campus.

There are three screens at the moment with two on the main floor, one by the informational desk across and the other by Starbucks, and the third is on the second floor by the theater.

“The largest of the screens is the one by the informational desk,” said Patrick Nelson, the director of the Union.

The touch screens display the interactive campus map can can also be used by campus organizations to submit events to be advertised on the three screens, said Nelson.

The screens are similar to iPads and users can zoom in and out, said Nelson. This makes it easy for technology savvy students to navigate.

Courtney Williams, a University senior, said she thought the interactive maps were a good way for students to get involved using new technology.

“These are a good thing for the campus,” she said. “It gives students, staff and future students a different method to navigate the campus opposed to the paper pamphlets.”

Former graduate student Dashawna Houston said she also thought the interactive maps would be good for students.

“I came from down south and these seem like a good idea for those of us who have not toured the campus and are from a totally different state,” Houston said.

The high-definition monitors were put in the Union the week before homecoming and displayed a video at first, Nelson said.

He also said that there could possibly be two more touch screen maps installed in the future and would be located on the third floor and another entrance.

The touch screens are in place in theUnion, Nelson said, but the maps will not be functional for another couple of weeks.