Downtown offers food options for every appetite

Whether you’re a new student at BGSU, an upperclassman living off campus, a member of faculty or staff, an alum, or a life-long townie, the restaurant scene in Bowling Green offers tasty treats to a wide variety of palates. Want BG’s best pizza? A romantic dinner for two? Cookies warm from the oven at midnight? There’s no doubt this delicious dining guide will satisfy almost any appetite.

If international flavors are what you crave, head to El Zarape on East Wooster Street for the best Mexican food in town. The prices are very reasonable and their homemade salsa is so addictive many diners order a pint to-go. If Mediterranean spices make your mouth water, South Side Six has the best hummus and gyros in town, plus they deliver. For European dishes, such as chicken paprikash and stuffed peppers, check out Naslada Bistro located in downtown BG. Naslada is known for their homemade soups and use of organic, grass-fed meats. The Stones Throw, a new Irish Tavern and Grill located on the corner of South Prospect and East Wooster streets, features a lovely patio for alfresco dining, and its menu, though slightly pricey, will surely excite anyone seeking shepard’s pie and other classic Irish fare.

Home to the best burger in town, Reverend’s Bar and Grill on East Wooster Street also shakes up luscious mixed drinks and cooks up delectable weekend specials. If tradition is what you seek, step into Trotter’s Tavern in downtown where the brown jug steak has been a staple longer than Freddie and Frieda can remember.

Looking for a light lunch? Call of the Canyon in downtown, with its homemade soups and scrumptious sandwiches, is a great answer. If a late breakfast is what you need after a long night, stop by Kermit’s Family Restaurant on South Main Street for eggs, bacon and a piece of pie made from scratch. Best Sunday brunch, hands down, goes to Happy Badger, which uses specialty breads from Zingerman’s in Ann Arbor, Mich., and local fruits and vegetables. Flavorful vegetarian options, slow food practices and RSVP gourmet dinner events also make many folks happy at the Happy Badger on North Main Street.

Catch up with friends or grab a cup of joe before beginning the day at Grounds for Thought downtown. Its baked goods will surely cure any sweet tooth. For those night owls yearning for hot-from-the-oven cookies at midnight (yes, midnight), The Cookie Jar and More, located on East Court Street, delivers in both senses of the word. Be sure to check its Cookie of the Day list before ordering.

In a college town where pizza joints are on almost every corner, there’s only one deep pie piled with miles of goodies. Myles Pizza Pub and Sub Shop on East Wooster St. by the train tracks has fresh ingredients, tangy sauce and cheese galore to satisfy the pizza hankering like no other.

Whatever the craving, local Bowling Green restaurants can quench it.