Volunteers needed for July 26 event to package meals

About 400 volunteers are needed to help package meals on July 26 at the Perry Field House.

The Bowling Green Rotary, BGSU’s Marvin Center for Leadership, and BGSU Athletics are partnering with Kids Coalition Against Hunger to package 60,000 meals for distribution around the community and around the world but they need volunteers. About 400 or so.

“Volunteers, lots and lots of community volunteers, are needed on July 26 to make a meaningful difference in feeding thousands of people less fortunate than ourselves,” said Civista Bank‘s Trevor Jessee.

Rotary and the university, through the Athletics program and the C. Raymond Marvin Center for Student Leadership and Civic Engagement, will partner with the Kids Coalition Against Hunger for a one-day event on July 26 at the university’s Perry Field House to package 60,000 meals for community and worldwide distribution. But it will take many hands to complete the task.

“We need hundreds of people in the community to step-up and volunteer to make this happen,” said Jacob Clemens, senior director of the BGSU’s Marvin Center. “Students, faculty and staff will be participating in the two shifts”

Volunteers – 400 in total – are being asked to work one of two shifts, although working both shifts is an option: 10 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. Volunteers are also needed from 8 a.m. until 10 a.m. to help unload the food and set up the packaging tables in the field house.

“Many of our athletes will be there participating,” Derek van der Merwe, the university’s director of athletics and recreation at BGSU. “They know and understand community service is an important component of their leadership development and to the success of our learning and surrounding community.”

Volunteers can sign up online. As this is a community project, everyone is welcome to participate, including young children accompanied by an adult but all participants must register. For more information, email Trevor Jessee.