Tennis sets high expectations for season

Katie Grubb stares down and returns a serve in a match this past seaon. Grubb is one of four seniors returning for the Falcons this fall.

The BG women’s tennis team enters 2012 with high expectations after a successful 2011 season. The Falcons are coming off of a season in which they finished fourth in the Mid-American Conference and posted a record of 10-10 overall. The Falcons also advanced to the semifinals at the MAC Championships for the second year in a row.

“I’m looking forward to building on last year and maintaining what we have been doing,” said junior Nikki Chiricosta. “I’m hoping to get to the MAC Championship this year and ultimately win it, but you always have to set the bar high.”

Lead by Penny Dean, entering her 23rd year as the head coach, BG is poised to have a great season in 2012 as they return six players from this past year’s squad, seniors Maddy Eccleston, Katie Grubb, Mary Hill and Jade Johnson and juniors Nikki Chiricosta and Emily Reuland. The Falcons have had the same core group of players for the past two years and are ready to take advantage of their experienced roster. BG also adds two newcomers in freshmen Katie Brozovich and Drew Fillis.

While the experience allows the Falcons to have great team chemistry, everyone is intrigued by the new freshmen and what they will bring to the team. The players and Dean can’t wait to welcome the two freshmen and believe they will be wonderful additions to the roster.

“I’m really looking forward to the new freshmen joining the team and contributing,” Dean said. “I think it will bring new incentive and new energy.”

The Falcons are not only anxious to meet their new teammates but they are also ready for the season to start up and to get back on the courts.

“I’m excited to start practicing with everyone and to get back into the swing of things,” Eccleston said. “I’m ready to work hard to get ready for our first tournament and just start competing again.”

BG will start its season Sept. 14-16, in Dublin, Ohio, at the Muirfield Collegiate Tennis Invitational. There the Falcons will get their first taste of competition and see how the team will be shaping up for the rest of the season.

“I expect us to do really well during the season, we have a lot of experience and did well last year,” Eccleston said. “And everyone has been working on their game.”

After the Muirfield Invitational the Falcons will have their home opener Sept. 21-22, in the BGSU Invitational.