BGSU baseball preview: Falcons return home to battle Toledo and Oakland in non-conference games

BG is looking to rebound after first MAC series loss of the season 
Drake Harlett
Bowling Green, OH – Bowling Green beat Central Michigan 18-17 in eleven innings at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

Coming off their first Mid-American Conference (MAC) series loss of the season, the Bowling Green baseball team returns to Steller Field for a five-game homestand, starting with battles against Toledo and Oakland on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.  

The game between BG and UT on Tuesday will be a non-conference contest, with the first pitch set for 4 p.m.  

Falcon Media Sports Network’s (FMSN) Chas McNeil and Holden Ruck will have the call of the game on 88.1 WBGU, starting at 3:45 p.m.  

Meanwhile, Bowling Green and Oakland will play 12 innings on Wednesday.  

The teams will begin the day by finishing their suspended game from Apr. 2 at noon. The game is currently in the seventh inning, with the Golden Grizzlies leading 18-17.   

Then, the teams will play a full nine innings approximately 40 minutes after the first game finishes..  

FMSN’s McNeil will guide you through all the action on Falcon Radio starting at 11:45 a.m.  

Matchup History  

The Falcons and Rockets have faced each other 235 times since 1921, with BG leading the all-time series 135-100.   

The teams split their four-game season series last year 

Bowling Green and Oakland have battled each other 26 times since 1979, with BGSU leading the all-time series 20-6.   

The Orange and Brown have won the last two games and three of the past four contests against the Golden Grizzlies.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling Green sits atop the MAC standings with a 23-14 overall and 18-3 conference record.  

Although the Falcons are coming off their first conference series loss of the season against Kent State over the weekend, they won their first 17 conference games, becoming the last undefeated team in conference play in the country. In the process, they set a MAC record and shattered numerous historic program marks.  

BGSU’s offense has been one of the best in the country this season.  

The Falcons lead the MAC and rank fifth in the nation with 9.8 runs scored per game.  

Even though they have played just 37 games, the fewest of any MAC team, the Orange and Brown lead the conference with 362 runs scored, 227 walks drawn, a .511 slugging percentage (SLG) and a .452 on-base percentage (OBP).  

BGSU is 26 walks shy of tying the program record of 253, set in 1978.

In addition, BG ranks second in the MAC with a .306 batting average (BA) and fourth with 63 home runs and 60 stolen bases.  

However, Bowling Green’s pitching has not been nearly as dominant this season.  

Although the Falcons have walked just 172 batters, the third-fewest in the MAC, they have struck out just 289, the fourth-fewest in the conference.  

Along with this, BGSU ranks sixth in the MAC with a 6.92 earned run average (ERA) and seventh with a .300 opponent batting average.  

Scouting Toledo  

Toledo sits in sixth place in the MAC with a 20-24 overall and 13-11 conference record.  

The Rockets have been struggling recently, losing eight of their last nine games.  

UT’s offense has not been very efficient this season.  

Toledo ranks fifth in the MAC with 198 walks drawn, sixth with. .451 SLG, seventh with a .264 BA and 278 runs scored, eighth with a .363 OBP and ninth with 65 doubles.  

However, they lead the MAC with 70 home runs and 405 strikeouts this season.  

Meanwhile, the Midnight Blue and Gold’s pitching has been some of the best in the MAC.  

The Rockets lead the conference with a 6.00 ERA, a .278 opponent batting average and just 65 doubles allowed.   

On top of this, Toledo ranks second in the conference with 387 strikeouts.  

Scouting Oakland  

Oakland enters Wednesday in third place in the Horizon League standings with a 23-20 overall and 12-9 conference record.  

Although Oakland defeated Youngstown State 11-2 in their last game on Sunday, they dropped the series against the Penguins, marking their first three-game series loss since the middle of March.  

The Golden Grizzlies are one of the most electric teams on the basepaths in the country, ranking second in the nation with 133 stolen bases.  

Overall, Oakland’s offense has been solid this season.   

OU ranks second in the Horizon League with 254 walks drawn and 21 triples.  

The Golden Grizzlies also rank third in the conference with a .296 BA, a .476 SLG, a .424 OBP, 359 runs scored and 47 home runs.  

Oakland’s pitching has also been solid this season.  

OU has walked just 178 batters, the fewest in the Horizon League.  

However, they have also allowed 62 home runs and 118 doubles, the most and second-most in the conference.  

Oakland also ranks second in the Horizon League with a 7.38 ERA, third with a .315 opponent batting average and fourth with 272 strikeouts.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Nathan Archer (Bowling Green #8)  

The junior outfielder has dominated at the plate this season.  

Archer ranks third in the MAC with 52 runs scored, fourth with 14 home runs, fifth with 46 runs batted in (RBI), seventh with 12 doubles, eighth with a .649 SLG, ninth with 55 hits and 10th with two triples.  

The Lagrange, Ohio, native has drawn a walk in seven straight games and is riding a nine-game on-base streak.  

Garrett Wright (Bowling Green #3)  

The freshman catcher has been a key piece in Bowling Green’s offensive success this season.  

Wright ranks second in the MAC with a .500 OBP, third with a .378 BA and seventh with a 1.089 on-base plus slugging percentage (OPS).  

The Massillon, Ohio, native has been hit by 16 pitches, believed to be a program record based on available information.  

On top of this, Wright has struck out just seven times in 90 at-bats, the fewest by any MAC player with at least 30 at-bats.  

Garrett Pike (Toledo #19)  

The junior infielder/outfielder has been the motor for Toledo’s offense.  

Pike ranks second in the MAC with 62 hits, third with 15 home runs, fourth with 44 runs scored and ninth with 43 RBI, a 1.059 OPS and a .644 SLG.  

The Waterville, Ohio, native has been named a Second-Team All-MAC selection the past two seasons.  

Brandon Nigh (Oakland #13)  

The junior infielder and pitcher has been one of the best batters in the Horizon League this season.  

Nigh ranks third in the conference with four sacrifice flies, fifth with 27 walks drawn, seventh with nine home runs, 14 doubles, 41 RBI and 12 stolen bases and ninth with 40 runs scored.  

The Temperance, Michigan, native is currently riding a 25-game on-base streak.