Local company makes BG a greener place

Green by Design is trying to make Bowling Green live up to its last name – Green.

The company at 19551 N. Dixie Highway specializes in selling energy reducing products and educating the community on green technology.

Amy Berente, Green by Design consultant, describes green products as those that save energy.

‘Green can be anything from minimizing waste to reducing energy to recycling,’ Berente said. ‘What we try and do here is promote products, mainly heating and plumbing, that are going to be more energy efficient.’

The store features a showroom of energy saving products for homeowners, including residential wind turbines, solar lighting, tankless water heaters, waterless urinals and organic cleaning supplies.

On their property is a wind turbine that is used to generate a portion of the facility’s electricity.

The Skystream 3.7 model they use and sell usually generates about 40-60 percent of the electricity for the average household annually, Berente said.

Even though Bowling Green is so windy, wind strength varies from time to time. But wind turbine owners don’t have to worry about having their lights shut off on a calm day, Berente said.

‘It actually ties right into your electrical grid,’ Berente said. ‘So as it is producing and you are consuming, you will automatically take this electricity first and then your electrical company will be your backup when it is not producing enough.’

The average price of installation for the Skystream 3.7 is $25,000,’ Berente said. ‘But the price can be lower or higher depending on the height of the tower, which can range from 33-100 feet.’

She said the wind turbines are the main draw for people and they’ve installed them at the Toledo Zoo, Clay High School in Oregon and about six local residencies.

While the turbines bring in the most people, geothermal heating equipment is the top seller, Berente said.

‘That is the most efficient way to heat and cool your home today and although it is not a new technology it seems to be becoming more mainstream and more people are starting to hear about it,’ Berente said.

Another energy-efficient product they sell is a waterless urinal.

It works by putting an absorbent cartridge in the urinal that soaks up everything and traps odor. After so many uses a homeowner can pour a gallon of water into it to flush the system and the savings over a year can amount up to $40,000, Berente said.

People can expect to pay more about 3 to 5 percent more for green products, but it is worth it in the end, Berente said.

‘The green products are usually that much higher than your standard,’ Berente said ‘Although that initial price may be a bit higher you are going to see the savings and in long run it is going to be more beneficial.’

Green by Design also educates the community about green energy and reducing waste.

Several grade school, high school and college classes have come to the showroom for field trips, she said.

Berente and some of her fellow consultants also go to schools and give presentations on topics ranging from wind power, geothermal heating and what it means to be green.

‘The main thing we hope to bring is to spread the word on what you can do to be more eco-friendly and what you can do at home to reduce your carbon footprint,’ Berente said.