Falcons’ historic run ends in Sunday series finale

Bowling Green, OH – Falcons cheering for the home run at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

After a historic output on Saturday with a 26-5 win, the Bowling Green State University baseball team was challenged Sunday as the Ohio Bobcats won the last game of their series, 4-2. 

The Falcons’ streak before Sunday had them starting MAC play with a new conference record of 17-0. This has also been considered as BGSU Athletics’ second-best MAC start in history.

BGSU’s first run happened at the bottom of the fourth inning, which was led off by DJ Newman, making the Falcons score 1-0. 

The Falcons’ second run was added in the sixth inning with a two-out rally.

Tyler Ross stole the second base in his run and took third base as well on a throwing error. Jack Krause also made a single to left field, which helped score Ross 2-0.

Landon Willeman had a career day for batting, pitching six and third innings for this game.

In the top of the seventh, Jacob Turner was used as a relief for both the seventh and eighth innings. He finished the seventh with two groundouts and the eighth with a backhand. 

However, the Bobcats made their first scores in the top of the ninth inning, recording four runs and scoring 4-2. 

Landon Roque responded in the bottom of the ninth with a single and took second as well because of a wild pitch.

Runners came to the corners as Roque moved to third due to a flyout, but BGSU still could not make a run, which finished the game as well as the series with a 4-2 score.

The Falcons’ nine-game homestand will end this Wednesday in a game against the Dayton Flyers, with the first pitch at 3 p.m.