Traditions never get old

A boy opens the oven and quickly says “I’m sorry” and slams the door shut. His mother witnesses this and says, “What did you do that for?” His reply: “Because the turkey wasn’t dressed.” A corny joke, yes. But it reflects that Thanksgiving is almost here. When I was younger, I used to enjoy waking up to the smell of turkey baking in the oven. But since I’m older now, my mother usually wakes me up before the turkey is even in the oven so I can partake in the ritual of preparing Thanksgiving dinner. This usually means rising at the crack of dawn before the roosters are crowing. Once I drag my tired self out of bed and down to the kitchen, I realize that this is more of a bonding experience between mother and daughter. It is a time for experiencing the traditions that I will someday be responsible for carrying and passing on to future generations. While learning the tools of the trade, I observe my mother, the seasoned veteran in action. Somehow I always feel overwhelmed. How is it that someday I will be responsible for preparing a historical, grand meal that reflects everything we are thankful for, when I can’t even successfully make Easy Mac? I realize through practice that this trade will eventually become easier. Hey, last year I made cranberry sauce from scratch! Hopefully this year I will learn more time-honored traditions that I can use in the years to come.

A lot of people, myself included, look forward to holidays, because they equal vacation. I am completely guilty of sometimes forgetting the real meaning of holidays. So far, I’ve looked at Thanksgiving break as a chance to spend a few days at home, getting away from Bowling Green, the stresses of school and the pressure of personal obligations. I haven’t really taken into consideration thus far what I am really thankful for. Of course, I am thankful for my wonderful family and friends, who give me all the love and support a girl could ask for. I am thankful for my dog, who makes herself known by pawing at my leg from under the table the second the turkey gets carved and finds its way to our plates. This year, I am thankful for the people who are risking their lives in order to make this country a safer place to live, thus sacrificing their own family gatherings and holiday rituals. We should all be thankful that we live in this country, where hard work and perseverance are the stepping stones to an honest, successful, and thriving lifestyle. During the holidays, we rally together to help those less fortunate. This country expresses its togetherness in such an emphatic way that one cannot help but feel fortunate and honored to live in the United States, the greatest nation on earth.

This holiday season, I encourage you to reflect on what the true meaning of “Thanksgiving” really is. I challenge you to test your morals and empathy toward your fellow countrymen who have fallen upon times of misfortune. Realize that while you are at home with your family and turkey, that there are Americans who are in another part of the world who are fighting for our nation’s safety and well-being, and be thankful for it. On Thursday, when you sit at your table, surrounded by those you love most, and you bow your heads in prayer and thanks, please remember to thank our men and women in uniform for the risks that they take that ensure our nation’s stability. Acknowledge the sacrifices they have made and the memories they are missing out on at home. Say a prayer in honor of those families who have lost priceless loved ones due to the tragedy of September eleventh, and will have empty spaces at their tables this holiday season. Most of all, be happy that you are able to celebrate this season, and always be thankful for the gift of life.