Safety of Lot 6 still in question

Although blue lights have been added, Lot 6 Overflow still does not appear the be a safe place on campus.

Since the beginning of the semester, one student was sexually assaulted while in Lot 6, a car was stolen and several other cars were broken into or vandalized.

“There is not enough light in Lot 6, and the Emergency Blue Light Systems are spread out too far, nobody would be able to get there if you needed help,” said University student, Katie Smalley.

According to her, lighting is probably the biggest problem with the parking lots at BGSU. The University purchased new lights for the football field, but added no new lighting to Lot 6, where many crimes are reported.

“The new lights on the football field add more light to the parking lot,” Lt. Robert Blackburn said, of the campus police.

The football field lights are only turned on for local football games. They are turned off the rest of the time.

There are differing opinions on campus between authorities and students regarding the safety of University parking lots.

“I would definitely never walk alone to my car at night, but I don’t even feel safe walking in a group of friends,” Smalley said. “The police should have someone patrolling the parking lots 24/7.”

Her opinion is not shared by Blackburn.

“The parking lots are safe, however, all students should take caution,” he said. “Any place you go there are going to be some crimes.”

According to Smalley, she believes that the majority of the student body would not even know what to do in an attack. She added students would not be able to reach the blue lights because of their location.

Blackburn has faith in the blue light system.

“They are effective. Units will arrive on the scene in two minutes or less,” he said. He also went on to say that adding more blue lights would not be the best idea for prevention because people tend to vandalize them and in some instances even steal them.

The consensus is that one of the best ways to prevent a crime in Lot 6 is to add surveillance cameras. If these cameras are added, even if a crime does happen, authorities will be able to document the crime and bring the perpetrator to justice.

“The placement of Blue Lights is not a problem, because if you are getting attacked you might not have time to get to one, surveillance cameras is the best option,” Blackburn said.

Another option given by Smalley to prevent these crimes would be to move the overflow lot to the open field between the Harshman and Kreischer Quadrangles.

“I think it’s a good idea, we need more parking and that land is sufficient,” Smalley said.