BG snaps 11-match win streak, loses twice

The BGSU tennis team lost for the first time in nearly two months when they fell at Ball State, 4-3, on Friday. The loss snapped the Falcons school record-winning streak at 11.

After being down 2-0 early, BG battled back to take a brief 3-2 advantage, with victories from Heidi Romer, Kelsey Jakupcin and Stefanie Menoff at No. 3, No.5 and No. 6 singles. The Cardinals tied the score at 3-3 when Jennifer Pollack beat Jenna Nussbaum 7-6, 6-2. The deciding point came down to No. 1 singles, where Jessica Thompson came from behind to defeat BG’s Ashley Jakupcin 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.

BG coach Penny Dean said the team was disappointed after the match because they felt they were a better team than Ball State.

“We came out and played a little tight,” Dean said. “The MAC is very good and all the teams are close and it’s hard to win when you’re not playing your best.”

On Saturday the Falcons lost again, this time to Miami-Ohio, 4-3. BG came ready to play taking all three doubles matches and a victory by Romer at No. 3 singles to take a 2-0 lead.

The RedHawks clawed their way back into it with victories at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 singles. With the score knotted at three apiece, match point came down to No. 1 singles.

For the second day in a row Ashley Jakupcin was outdueled, this time by the Redhawks’ Katrina Lomidze 6-3, 2-6, 7-6.

“I was really proud of our team,” Dean said. “They did great job of being motivated after losing a tough match a day earlier. Everyone competed really hard and left everything they had on the court.”

Romer and Menoff continued their impressive play, each going 2-0 in singles action.

“Menoff is really cruising right now, and Romer won the most mentally tough match she’s ever had against Miami,” Dean said.

Although the Falcons dropped two close matches, Dean said there were some positives to take away from the matches.

“We were two points away from victories and being in first [place] in the MAC,” Dean said.

FALCON FEATS

Before falling to Ball State on Friday, the Falcon tennis team had won 11 straight matches, the longest win streak in school program history.

Started Feb. 12 in a 6-1 rout of Wright State

The Falcons followed with 10 more wins, including four shutouts and five 6-1 victories

The Falcons nearly extended the streak twice this weekend but lost decisive three-set matches at No. 1 singles

BG is now 2-2 in the Mid-American Conference and will host Western Michigan at 1 p.m. Saturday