Summer Movie Previews

Mission: Impossible III- (PG-13) Release Date: May 5 Super-spy Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) has retired from active duty to train new IMF agents, but he is called back into action to confront the toughest villain he’s ever faced – Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman), an international weapons and information provider with no remorse and no conscience.

Poseidon (PG-13) Release Date: May 12 When a rogue wave capsizes a luxury cruise ship in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean, a small group of survivors find themselves unlikely allies in a battle for their lives. Preferring to test the odds alone, career gambler Dylan Johns (Kurt Russell) ignores captain’s orders to wait below for possible rescue and sets out to find his own way to safety. As the unstable vessel rapidly fills with water, each character must draw on skills and strengths they were previously unaware they possessed, fighting against time for their own survival and for each other.

The Da Vinci Code (PG-13) Release Date: May 19 The murder of a curator at the Louvre reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected since the days of Christ. Based on the best-selling novel, Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou star in this action-packed thriller directed by Ron Howard. The two become not only suspects but also detectives searching for the murderer and the stunning secret of the ages the man he killed was charged to protect.

X-Men: The Last Stand Release Date: May 26 Featuring Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and Halle Berry, this adventure movie introduces a “cure” for the “mutiny” that threatens to alter the course of history. Throughout the film, mutants have a choice of either retaining their uniqueness, consequently isolating and alienating themselves, or giving up their powers and becoming human.

The Break-Up (Not rated) Release Date: June 2 Universal Pictures presents Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn in the romantic comedy. After one too many arguments, the couple breaks up and has to deal with a series of trials from friends, confidantes and strangers. When neither ex is willing to move out of the condo they shared, the only solution is to continue living as hostile roommates until somebody caves. Despite everything that happens, Brooke (Aniston) finds herself fighting for her ex-boyfriend.

The Omen (Not rated) Release Date: June 6 Starring Julia Stiles, Liev Schreiber and Mia Farrow, director John Moore remakes the horror film originally released in 1976. A young boy named Damien, the son of an American diplomat and his wife, lives unaware that he is destined to become the Anti-Christ – until shattering events reveal the terrifying truth.

Cars (G) Release Date: June 9 Lightning McQueen, a hotshot rookie race car driven to succeed, discovers that life is about the journey and not the finish line. He finds himself unexpectedly detoured in the sleepy town of Radiator Springs with the its offbeat characters who teach him there is more to life than trophies and fame.

Nacho Libre (PG) Release Date: June 16 Jack Black stars as Ignacio (friends call him Nacho), a Mexican priest who moonlights as a Libre wrestler to raise money for his orphanage in this comedy from the creators of “Napoleon Dynamite” and the writer of “School of Rock.” For all Jack Black fans, this could be one of his funniest performances.

Superman Returns (PG-13) Release Date: June 30 After a mysterious absence of several years, Superman comes back to Earth. Brandon Routh stars as Clark Kent or “Superman” searching for his long lost love, Lois Lane, played by Kate Bosworth. It appears Lois has moved on with her life without Kent, as has the rest of the society. The film shows his struggle to bridge the gap in his love life and also protect the world from destruction. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (Not yet rated) Release Date: July 7 Walt Disney Pictures presents the sequel to the blockbuster hit “Pirates of the Caribbean” in a new adventure entitled “Dead Man’s Chest.” Captain Jack Sparrow discovers he owes a blood debt to the legendary Davey Jones, Captain of the ghostly Flying Dutchman. The trio of Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley work to find a way out of this debt or else face eternal damnation and servitude in the afterlife. Miami Vice (Not yet rated) Release Date: July 28 “Miami Vice” offers an adaptation of the 1980s hit television series. Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell star in this action/gangster film as undercover agents transporting drug loads into South Florida to identify a group responsible for three murders. The intensity of this case pushes Crockett (Farrell) and Tubbs (Foxx) out onto the edge where identity and fabrication become blurred and where cop and player become one.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Not yet rated) Release Date: Aug. 4 Will Ferrell fans will line up to see the new sports comedy “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.” The film, also featuring David Koechner, Sacha Baron Cohen and John C. Reilly, is set in the world of professional stock car racing. Ricky Bobby is a go-for-broke race car driver who, when racing, either finishes first or doesn’t finish at all. Unhappy with these results, Bobby’s team owner brings over Jean Girard, a French Formula One driver, who quickly becomes Bobby’s biggest rival. Will Ferrell wrote, produced and stars in this new comedy.

World Trade Center (Not rated) Release Date: Aug. 9 Paramount Pictures presents this controversial film starring Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena as two police officers involved in the disaster of 9/11. This film is a true story of Will Jimeno and John McLoughlin, two Port Authority officers who rushed into the burning World Trade Center on 9/11 to rescue people. However, they became trapped themselves when the tower collapsed. A race against time ensued to free them before their air ran out. Clerks II (Not rated) Release Date: Aug. 18 This film for all Kevin Smith fans is the continuing tale of Dante and Randal, two slackers who find that their lives must change now that they are in their thirties. They find it’s time to grow up and do something more than just sit around, dissect pop culture and talk about sex.