Stylex digs deep for album; “Tight Scrapes”

What can only be described as rock/new wave/electronic commotion is going down around 10 p.m. tonight at Howard’s.

To celebrate the release of their latest album Tight Scrapes, native band Stylex are throwing an all ages show at their beloved venue.

“We like playing shows at Howard’s,” said Joel Roberts, who plays guitar, synth, beats and vocals for Stylex. “It’s like home to us.”

Since their formation in 1999, Stylex have performed over 300 shows to excited fans across the Midwest and east coast.

“Bowling Green by far has the most enthusiastic crowds, but we also do really well in Columbus and Cincinnati,” said vocalist Dustin Hostetler. “Detroit is slowly picking up on us, but Ohio treats us the best.”

Because Stylex is a local Bowling Green band, the shows they play at the venues in town have the most energy and understanding fans. But the crowd isn’t the same at every show.

“If they ‘get it’ there is a lot of jumping up and down, with the occasional well behaved mosh-pit,” Hostetler said. “If they don’t ‘get it’ there are a lot of blank stares and head bobbing.”

But the blank stares and subtle head bobs can be left at home tonight. According to Craig Sykes, a fan who has seen Stylex perform at least 14 times during his college career, the CD release show will probably be one of their best performances, considering all of their past ones.

“It’s not unusual for a band member to leave the stage in the middle of a song to rock out with the crowd, or hang upside down from the ceiling,” Sykes said.

And just as the band feels as if Howard’s is second home, fans like Sykes have the same kind of appreciation for Stylex.

“Seeing Stylex at Howard’s is as important to the BG experience as eating Pollyeyes breadsticks, or going to a football game and should be done at least once before graduating,” Sykes said.

Though the band and fans are excited about the show, one thought remains on everyone’s mind – the new album is going to be mind blowing.

It took countless hours and tremendous effort for Stylex to finally get to the CD release date, mostly because Tight Scrapes was a Do It Yourself project.

“We built our own studio from scratch,” Roberts said. “We started our own label, Pretend Records, and had control over the whole process.”

As a result of all their hard labor, the band has never felt better about their position in the musical world.

“It is positively our best work ever,” Roberts said. “We have refined our recording techniques, and were able to do it right this time, without the pressure of time or money.”

That is not to say that the process was easy, by any means.

“We are calling the record ‘Tight Scrapes’ because we have almost died too many times to count,” Hostetler said. “Hopefully this disc will kill those demons from continuing to haunt us.”

Some of the new tracks are already available for listening on Myspace.com. And from what they have heard, the fans are eager for the rest.

“The new songs are upbeat, and should have the crowd dancing and spilling beer everywhere, just like their older tunes,” Sykes said.