A fond farewell

Emotional, intense and just downright fun. Those are three things that represent BG’s current senior class. It was only fitting that they continued that trend through their final game at Anderson Arena in a 92-62 victory over Miami.

A fired up crowd of 2,004 came out to say goodbye to Ali Mann, Liz Honegger, Carin Horne, Megan Thorburn and Amber Flynn as they played their final game in the friendly confines of “The House that Roars.”

The first half was not exactly what the Falcons were looking for. They turned the ball over 11 times and allowed Miami point guard Jenna Schone to score 13 points. At halftime, the Falcons led 37-33 and they had to adjust because Miami was playing physical basketball.

“We got in at halftime and regrouped, and I thought we adjusted well to the physical way that the game was being played,” said BG coach Curt Miller. “I’m really glad we forgot about how physical it was and really buckled down on execution and trying to be efficient at the offensive end.”

BG adjusted pretty well. They shot 68 percent from the field and exploded for 55 second half points. The Falcons made 6-of-7 3-pointers in the half and ended it with some emotional farewells by the five seniors. To celebrate their accomplishments as a class, the seniors cut down the nets.

“It’s amazing, it’s what you always dream of – cutting down the nets on your home court in front of 2,000 plus fans,” Mann said. “It’s just been great – it’s a great feeling.”

Miller was proud of the way his team played in the second half after a bumpy start. The bounce-back was typical of the senior class over the past four seasons.

“You saw the character of that team coming out of halftime,” Miller said. “If there was a doubt in the game they put it away pretty early.”

The Falcons put it away pretty early in the second half. They began with a 23-8 run and never looked back from there. Amber Flynn, Carin Horne and Megan Thorburn all hit threes down the stretch, firing up the crowd even more.

“The seniors wanted to go off in style and they were inspired as a unit and as emotional as I’ve seen them in a long time,” Miller said.

Miami played a physical game, but there was only so much they could do against a fired up Falcon senior group.

“Bad timing for Miami to have to be the team to have to play Bowling Green on senior night after a loss,” said Miami coach Maria Fantanarosa.

Horne and Mann led the Falcons with 23 and 22 respectively. Kate Achter added 13, Liz Honegger had 11, and Megan Thorburn had six, including two patented baseline threes.

The seniors all left the floor individually except for Mann and Honegger, who have been the face of the BG program the last four years. As the substitution horn sounded, the two hugged near midcourt and waved goodbye to the Anderson Arena faithful.

Missing the point

BG played the game without backup point guard Jasmine McCall. Miller would not comment on McCall after the game and made that very clear in his opening statement. He told the media he would give them more details when he was made completely aware of the situation.

Players did say McCall has not been in practice all week. Ali Mann ran the point while starting point guard Kate Achter was on the bench.

“It’s fun to be in that position, there’s not really any pressure on me to mess up,” Mann said. “I have new respect for Kate and all the things she does.”