Women’s golf sees some positives at Shoot-out, but finishes 12th overall

The BG women’s golf team was armed and ready early this week when they played 54 holes in the Shoot-out at the Legends tournament in Franklin,Ind.

The team looked younger than usual with three freshman- Lauren Glew, Megan Glew and DeO’nna Anderson- making up half of the competing squad.

Senior Captain Carley Hrusovsky led by example as she shot her way to a three day score of 237 (79, 78, 80). Her hard work earned her 36th place overall.

“That’s how I wanted to be as a captain,” Hrusovsky said. “It’s good to have an anchor for the team and I was glad I could be that person in this tournament.”

Freshman DeO’nna Anderson had her best showing all year, trimming strokes with every 18 holes she played. She went from an 83 in round one to a 78 in her final round. Her constant improvement over the course of the tournament earned her a tie for 42nd place.

“I just tried to relax,” Anderson said. “I’m trying to go out there and hit more greens and keep putting well.”

Lauren Glew followed suit, continually improving each day to earn a three day score of 246 (86,81,79).

Coach Stephanie Young has been thoroughly impressed with her young golfers.

“We’ve got a lot of young talent, which shows that this team’s future is bright. We also have a lot of great senior leadership for them to learn from,” Young said.

Jessica McCann was close on the heels of Lauren Glew, trailing the freshman by one stroke overall.

The overall team score put the Falcons toward the bottom of the leaderboard, finishing 12th place.

Coach Young is looking for continual improvement, and is working to keep up with the high level of competition the team has faced.

“We have to continue to focus on our small successes. We need to focus on our game-plan, short game, course management, consistency, lowering our team scores and all of our goals that we are very focused on and continue to work on,” Young said.

The team will be traveling to Daytona, Fla., this weekend to participate in the LPGA international, hosted by Xavier University.

Coach Young knows this will be one of the biggest tests the team will face this season.

“This will be the most difficult course we’ll see,” Young said. “The tournament field, the teams we’ll see, are probably the most talented we’ve seen this fall. It’s a great opportunity for us to be in the event and we are going to be focused to do the best we can.”