For athletics, a new home of brass and glass

He’s had a life-long interest in sports. He also loves band and music. And he loves the University.

So Bob Sebo donated the money for the lead gift for a new athletic facility on campus.

He wanted to see brass and glass adorning this facility. He wanted a facility that could be recognized by everyone passing the University. What he got is the Sebo Athletic Center.

Sebo graduated from the University in 1958. He played football in high school, but because of a knee injury, he wasn’t able to play here. Instead, he played in the concert band under the direction of Roy Weger, a music professor at the University from 1953 to 1965.

He stayed in contact with the University during his professional career, and began talking with Urban Meyer, a past football coach, about his ability and inability to recruit, Sebo said.

One thing they decided was necessary to improve recruitment was a facility that had better training and meeting rooms.

Sebo said he was brought a brick building, but that was not what he wanted. He wanted a building that would be recognizable and not grow ivy.

The building built from his donation and the donations of 496 other people is an attention-grabber, and he never doubted that it would be anything less.

‘The attitude it created when you bring a new athletic facility, it gives them a really positive attitude,’ Sebo said.

The Sebo Athletic Center isn’t just helping the athletes, Sebo said.

‘I see the success of our athletes once again generating a positive attitude among our students and alums,’ Sebo said.

‘It will and should benefit everyone by being able to recruit more,’ Sebo said.

Nice facilities on campus create alumni who are proud of their University, Sebo said, which ‘makes it easier for them to contribute,’ he said.

And the University’s centennial campaign has been especially successful for that reason, Sebo said.

Just under $3 million of the campaign’s $120 million goal for December 2008 must still be raised.

‘That’s what happy, successful [donors] do for the University,’ Sebo said.

He said sports exposure also does wonders for the University.

‘If you win a championship, even the least athletic person will wear [school] colors,’ Sebo believes.

Sebo knows that academics are important, but he said, ‘Not many people go home and talk about grades.’

The building

The most important facet of the athletic center to Sebo is the band stands.

‘I got to say I want the band stands in the end zone,’ he said.

With the stands in the north end zone, the band is able to be an active participant in the game, said Carol Hayward, the Falcon Marching Band director.

‘The new location is backed up by all that brick and glass, so it amplifies our sound through the entire stadium,’ Hayward said.

And even though the new field is not part of the Sebo Athletic Center, Sebo is thankful for its presence.

‘The Lord destroyed our stadium. He made it possible to get this fabulous new FieldTurf,’ Sebo said.

Donations

Sebo explained his mom and dad taught him to remember and be respectful of those who helped him and to give back time and help financially.

Since the University helped him so much during his years here as a student, he wanted to give back.

University President Sidney Ribeau said having a donor like Sebo makes him proud.

‘This place is still home for him,’ Ribeau said. ‘That example stimulated interest in others to give back.’