Golfers excited for ’07 season

The BG women’s golf team has beefed up its roster this year and is looking to get even better in its third year under coach Stephanie Young.

Senior Carley Hrusovsky was named captain of the team, as she led the team last season with a 81.9 stroke average. Hrusovsky also earned honors last year along with Lindsey Jonkhoff. They were named to the National Golf Association’s All-American Scholar Team.

Hrusovsky realizes the importance of her role within the team and is dedicated to being an effective leader.

“It [being captain] means leading by example, playing my best and practicing as hard as I can to show everyone else how it needs to be done,” Hrusovsky said.

Young said she believes all the seniors must provide guidance for the rest of the team.

“We have four seniors who have been there, done that, played in MAC Championships. They know what it takes to win, they know how to succeed as student athletes,” Young said. “We are going to lean on them for leadership.”

The team is bigger than the past two years, with a roster of 10 women.

For most National College Golf Association tournaments, only five will qualify to play for each team, therefore the competition to play has been increased within the team.

“Everyone has to bring their A-game to practice in order to keep a high level of competition. We have to have a good level of competitiveness while keeping a good team chemistry,” Young said.

Hrusovsky believes the depth of this year’s squad will benefit the overall team performance.

“It’s more competitive within the team to qualify for a spot to go travel,” Hrusovsky said. “We need to be very supportive of each other. Whoever qualifies, those are the people that deserve to play and we need to support them.”

Coach Young has high hopes going into the season.

“We broke a school record last year, we won one event. Now our schedule is stronger, we’ve got more talented players and we are trying to raise the bar,” she said.