USG votes to change Minority Affairs to Diversity Affairs

Undergraduate Student Government members voted on a resolution to change the name of the current Minority Affairs senator position to Diversity Affairs senator at last night’s general assembly meeting. With 15 senators voting yes, one no and two abstentions, the resolution will now be passed to Vice President of Student Affairs Edward Whipple for approval. After hearing input from students and discussing the issue amongst themselves, USG members thought the name change was in the best interest of all involved. ‘I’ve given it some thought since last week’s meeting and haven’t been able to come up with a better name, so I think Diversity Affairs Senator is the most appropriate,’ At-Large Sen. Leo Almeida said. Minority Affairs Sen. Tyler Deitsch also agreed that changing the name was the right decision. ‘After speaking to people in my constituency, most agree with calling the position Diversity Affairs Senator,’ Deitsch said. There were some concerns that changing the name of the Minority Affairs Senator would affect the people currently being represented by the position. ‘My question is, would changing it to the title of Diversity Affairs Senator change the constituent group?’ USG Vice President Sundeep Mutgi asked. Ultimately, senators decided the people being served would not change. ‘Even though the name is changing the constituency isn’t changing,’ Almeida said. Changes in the USG constitution was also discussed last night. One proposed change was made by Minority Affairs Sen. Starmisha Page after she proposed to possibly add more Minority Affairs Senator positions in USG. ‘I feel USG needs to represent the diversity of this campus and two positions aren’t enough,’ Page said. ‘I spoke with people who were in USG back in 1969, and even they were surprised that there are still only two Minority Affairs Senators.’ Deitsch agreed with the suggestion to add more Minority Affairs Senator positions. ‘I understand where Sen. Page is coming from,’ Deitsch said. ‘Adding more Minority Affairs Senators would be more proportionate.’ While some people saw that viewpoint, others had a differing opinion on the suggestion. ‘I think that having two senators in that position is adequate,’ At-Large Sen. Kevin Basch said. Joseph Edens, sophomore and a senator candidate for the election said he thought adding more positions to USG didn’t make sense at this time. ‘I look around the room and see so many empty chairs,’ Edens said. ‘Aren’t you having a hard enough time getting senators to come to meetings, so why seem even less legitimate by adding more positions.’ Instead of adding four more Minority Affairs Senators, one senator suggested adding only two more to make a total of four Minority Affairs Senators. ‘Maybe just take baby steps because trying to get 40 senators to come to the meetings is a problem as it is,’ West Units Sen. Sarah Shepherd said. More discussion on USG constitutional changes will take place during next weeks meeting. USG President John Waynick urged everyone to be informed regarding the Stroh Center Referendum vote taking place this Friday. ‘I encourage everyone to vote no matter how you feel on the issue,’ Waynick said. ‘I think it’s great that student government interest is at an all time high.’