Women receive first round bye in WNIT

All season long, things like record-breaking individual and team performances have made the women’s basketball team into an attractive specimen. Now, with the regular season and Mid-American Conference Tournament in the rearview mirror, the Falcons didn’t get invited to the dance. Instead, the Falcons will be facing the winner of the Syracuse/Canisius first-round WNIT game in the second round at home. The date and time are to be announced at a later date. Selection Monday began with BG seated squarely on the bubble. Despite an overall record of 28-4, the MAC Coach of the Year (Curt Miller) and the MAC Player of the Year (Lauren Prochaska) in their corner, BG’s postseason future was uncertain. ESPN’s broadcast of the NCAA Tournament selection show began at 7 p.m., and as the hour-long program progressed, team after team received their invites, while BG remained in postseason purgatory. As of 7:45 p.m., BG still hadn’t received their invitation, and with only the Trenton region left to be unveiled, it was a feeling of desperation for BG fans. After winning a school-record 25 straight games earlier in the season, BG slipped up against Miami. Then, in the MAC Championship, the Falcons once again slipped up against Ball State. Those losses ended the Falcons’ season with two big losses amongst five winnable games. With no signature victories on their record, BG had little to hang their hat on. Still, with the MAC Coach of the Year and the MAC Player of the Year, plus the fact that Ball State received a No. 12 seed, BG fans had reason to believe. But as 8 p.m. rolled around, BG remained uninvited, and a second straight WNIT bid loomed. BG will now host a WNIT game in which they will look to win their 30th game and give the team’s lone senior, Lindsey Goldsberry, a proper send-off. They’ll also have the chance to prove the NCAA Tournament selection committee wrong and show they deserved an at-large bid.