Beryl’s remnants could bring heavy rain Wednesday

After battering Caribbean islands as a Category 4 hurricane, rolling through Texas as a Category 1 hurricane, Beryl has been downgraded to a tropical storm whose remnants will likely impact the Bowling Green area beginning late today.

The National Weather Service forecast calls for a chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms today with the potential for heavier rainfall Wednesday. By the time sunny weather returns Thursday morning, our area could see more than an inch of rain.

The impact in Texas was much more severe, of course, with at least two storm-related deaths reported and about 1.5 million being left without power. According to the National Hurricane Center, damaging winds and flash flooding will continue as the storm continues pushing inland.

The Weather Channel forecast also has Beryl’s remnants arriving Wednesday, then stretching into New York and Pennsylvania on its way to New England. It predicts parts of Texas may see more than 8 inches of rain and parts of the Mississippi valley may see between 3 and 5 inches of rain.

Once Beryl’s remnants move through our area, we should see sunny weather through the weekend with scattered thunderstorms returning early next week.