Rogan and Faris report for duty in lackluster film

If you happened to find the year’s first mall cop, Paul Blart, terribly obnoxious and apathetically pointless, popular funny-man Seth Rogen is hoping to relegate your anger with a similar but blatantly unapologetic dark comedy. In ‘Observe and Report,’ the most recent of his frequent film entries, Rogen portrays Ronnie Barnhardt, a dedicated and often over-the- top enforcer of mall security. Working as the head of security, Ronnie patrols his territory as if he were packing a semi-automatic pistol instead of Hello Kitty band-aids. Unlike Blart’s predicament that followed predictable and innocent humor trends, Ronnie is faced with an unusual circumstance in which a mysteriously infamous flasher has terrorized his mall’s female attendees for too long.’ When Detective Harrison (Ray Liotta) and the police are brought in to help with the ongoing investigation, Ronnie takes up a challenge to glorify his own law enforcement tactics. With a story that is much about underappreciated workers attempting to receive a rightful recognition for their dedicated work, Rogen attempts to let the laughs fly with a familiar attack of dimwitted humor and dialogue. While Ronnie hinges on antics fueled by his bipolar tendencies, Rogen gives life to a character that could have otherwise been profoundly disturbing; which it still somewhat is. Even among the light of all this confusion, Rogen finds ways to keep Ronnie somewhat likable and seemingly courageous with his high flying hopes. ‘Observe and Report’ hits the middle of the road for Rogen fans. It gives the actor enough room to extend beyond a new territory of performances, but it confines him to the only style of humor we have come to expect from him. It’s this simple downfall that further solidifies Rogen as an actor who is simply relying on his current popular image. If this trend continues with wavering popularity, he won’t have much left to report on in the future.