Summer introduces different atmosphere to Bowling Green

Hear that? Silence. Well, not really, but it is somewhat of a sign of relief for this townie. Summer is finally upon us, meaning a more peaceful Bowling Green. I am, of course, referring to just how much the atmosphere changes after the majority of students move back home after finals and commencement. First, let me delve into one of the biggest problems I encounter on a daily basis during the school year: automobiles. Understand that this town essentially doubles in size during the school year, thus traffic is more abundant. Is it really necessary for the vast majority of the student body to have cars on campus? Half the kids have their rides collect dust in the overflow lot, having only used them a few times throughout the year, mostly to go home. This I can somewhat understand, the whole convenience factor. But seriously, everybody doesn’t need wheels. I mean, the town is small enough that students can walk pretty much anywhere they need to go. Moreover, we have a shuttle service that provides transportation. And lastly, I am pretty sure each student knows someone who has a car they could utilize. Without stirring the pot too much, I like the idea that another small college town, Athens (Ohio University) implements. At Ohio University, first and second year students are not permitted to have a vehicle. I mean, seriously, it is so annoying even crossing the roads around campus on foot with all the traffic. And when I do drive out of town, it is also a process turning left onto Wooster from Enterprise (where I live). Besides, having fewer automobiles is better for the environment right? I may sound cynical, but I think it is a good thing the auto industry is struggling. Stop making cars. We have too many, especially for my small town! Each year, it seems like more and more kids live in BG for the summer, which aside from the added traffic, is fine by me. Most students get local jobs, which helps our economy, or they take summer classes (overachievers, ha). No, I have taken my fair share of summer classes too, and by no means do I consider myself an overachiever. I have to give it those who take summer courses. They are tougher, bearing in mind that twice the amount of coursework is jammed into half the time. So for the most part, campus is pretty chill regarding student flow, which is lovely because I enjoy just going for walks both day and night around the University. It really is an opportunity to see everything from a more calm point of view. Maybe it is just the nature nerd in me, but add into effect the weather, and the real serene beauty of campus comes out in the summer. That is, until now; enter the fifth season of the year, construction. We don’t even need to get on I-75 to get a dose of it because at any point on campus you can see an area taped off, fenced in or dug up. And by all means, I believe in the renovation and beautification of campus. It just seems unfortunate that so many projects are underway at one time. Forget the Stroh Center; I want to know how much of my money is going toward the sidewalks I walk on every day or the classrooms I sit in almost every day. But, for once I want to deviate from money, and that is another argument for another column. Quickly switching gears from campus and the academic side of things, I would like to briefly touch base on another benefit to the summer around BG, the bars. Had I not unleashed the socialite in me all these years, I probably would not be writing this column and would have graduated by now. (For those who know me, that was my attempt at making fun of myself.) For those who are not so familiar with this townie, let me just say I got Van Wilder buying me drinks at my favorite watering hole. And while I do not venture out to the bars as much as I used to because I am finally tackling more important priorities like gaining internship credit writing for The BG News, I do enjoy an occasional night on the town. Again, with the masses sitting at home bored on a Saturday night because they don’t have the party-conducive environment of BG anymore, I can take pleasure in the following: not sweating profusely, not taking all night to get served and not waiting in line to get into a bar in my own town. Hear that? It’s happy hour at Ziggy’s. Roll Along!