Pontius lifts women past Buffalo for 24th straight

The Buffalo Bulls gave the Falcons all they wanted and more last night. But in the end, BG prevailed, winning 89-82, making it 24 straight victories for the Falcons. BG, 24-2 (13-0 MAC), jumped out to an early lead in front of a crowd of only 530 people. At the half, BG led 34-28, and once again looked to be in control. The second half saw a huge comeback by lowly UB, 5-21 (1-12 MAC), as the Bulls went on a big run and pulled ahead by six points with 10:19 to play in the second half. BG then managed to make a comeback of their own and led 66-64 with 0:56 to play in regulation. Buffalo then hit a jump shot with 0:13 to play that tied the game. After Lauren Prochaska missed a layup as time expired, the game was sent into overtime. Once in overtime, Tracy Pontius took over. With BG trailing 73-70 with 3:17 to play, Pontius went on an amazing streak that saw her hit five consequtive three pointers. By the end of the run, BG led 85-82. With BG leading 87-82 following a field goal from Lindsey Goldsberry, Buffalo began fouling, and Pontius his the last two. Pontius finished with a game high 27 points, 17 of which came in the overtime period. Pontius’ 17 points in the overtime period were more than any other single player on her team. Niki McCoy came up big in her second game back with the Falcons. McCoy finished the game with a double-double, with 16 points and 10 rebounds off the bench. The Bulls did a good job of keeping Prochaska in check, holding her to just 15 points on 5-20 shooting from the field. The win marks the 109th win of Goldsberry’s storied BG career. She now has more wins then anyone else in program history. Now the Falcons will take a few days off before returning to the court on Saturday when they will host the Kent State Golden Flashes. One storyline to watch closely will be that of’ McCoy, who made a push to start last night.