• They Both Die at the End ā€“ General Review
    Summer break is the perfect opportunity to get back into reading. Adam Silveraā€™s (2017) novel, They Both Die at the End, can serve as a stepping stone into the realm of reading. The pace is fast, action-packed, and develops loveable characters. Also,Ā Silvera switches point of view each chapter where narration mainly focuses on the protagonists, […]
  • My Favorite Book ā€“ Freshwater
    If thereā€™s one book that I believe everyone should read once in their life, itā€™s my favorite book ā€“ Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi. From my course, Queer Literature under Dr. Bill Albertini, I discovered Emeziā€™s Freshwater (2018). Once more, my course, Creative Writing Thesis Workshop under Professor Amorak Huey, was instructed to present our favorite […]

Check the facts before criticizing the student body’s attendance

Just like Gregg Brandon criticized Falcon fans at the end of his coaching tenure, Sean Shapiro has followed suit. He not only disrespected almost all of the Falcon faithful, including myself, but also did not realize the importance of that night to Falcon hockey.

The University hockey team got their first win of the season that night (Nov. 13), beating Alaska 3-1. Not only was it hockey’s first win, but notable hockey alumni players and coaches were in attendance that weekend from the first University hockey team and the 1984 National Championship Team.

Hockey is probably the most popular sport on campus. Even without a win on the season, 1,759 people came out to support the hockey team that night, and not the women’s basketball team.

Last time I checked, the hockey team had one national championship; the women’s basketball team had none. Let’s have the women’s basketball team prove their strength and win a significant road game instead of completely dropping the ball like they did at OSU.

What it boils down to is, in this town, hockey will always rule over almost every other sport, and a free hockey game will most certainly beat out a women’s basketball game, where students are charged for tickets.

Don’t pull a Gregg Brandon and blame the Falcon fans, blame the conflict in schedule. Look what happened to Brandon – he got fired.

David Houser is a junior majoring in Environmental Policy and Analysis. Respond to him by commenting below or be emailing to [email protected]