Men’s soccer wins road shootout at Buffalo

A few tactical changes to the lineup, and the return of the team’s leader in points were enough to give the Falcon men’s soccer team its first victory in 46 days.

Coach Eric Nichols took a risk with his lineup, moving senior co-captain Jacob Lawrence from defender to forward, while deciding to play Cameron Hepple for the first time in three weeks 10 minutes before kickoff.

Four goals and 90 minutes later, the two made their first year head coach look like a genius, as the Falcons scored the game-winning goal in blustery Buffalo, giving BG a 4-3 win.

Hepple, who has been hampered by a groin injury, was happy to add the scoring touch the Falcons desperately missed the last four games.

‘It was great,’ Hepple said. ‘After being out for a month and then come back it let out a lot of frustration, it felt good.’

Despite scoring two goals of his own, Lawrence keyed in on the importance of having Hepple back in the lineup.

‘It’s really exciting to have Cameron back,’ Lawrence said. ‘I don’t know if he is 100 percent, but he brings a new dynamic with his explosiveness. It wouldn’t surprise me if we keep doing it.’

Lawrence got the scoring started in the 31st minute, as the senior hit a volley past the keeper from 8 yards out.

The goal, which came off a corner kick, was Lawrence’s first of the season.

‘I had a lot of fun playing up top, its something I did when I was younger,’ Lawrence said. ‘It was really nice scoring, especially since we have not scored in three games.’

Nichols said he was pleased he changed Lawrence’s role for Friday’s game.

‘Jacob’s versatility sets him apart, and his skill set up front is different,’ Nichols said. ‘It makes us a different team.’

The Bulls then scored two unanswered goals to take a 2-1 lead, but the game started to shift the Falcons’ way. Hepple then showed why, when healthy, he is one of the Mid-American Conference’s most feared players.

After scoring from 15 yards out to level the score, the senior took it upon himself to give the Falcons a lead.

After collecting the ball 30 yards out, Hepple used his pace to beat one defender before faking a shot to get passed the second. One on one with the keeper, Hepple slotted home a low shot to give the Falcons the lead with 14 minutes remaining.

‘We all know Cameron is a great soccer player, but what we saw last night was special and different,’ Nichols said. ‘The courage, toughness and tenacity he showed was something special.’

The lead was short lived though, as the Bulls scored three minutes later.

As the game sped up with both teams looking for a game winner, Lawrence sent the crowd home stunned as he converted the game-winner.

‘I couldn’t be happier and more proud of our effort,’ Nichols said. ‘We showed the drive to play for a win.”