Public Enemies’ features solid plot, great acting and superior camera work

From beginning to end, ‘Public Enemies’ fills you with excitement, sorrow, brilliance and emotion. All thanks to the superb direction of Michael Mann and the phenomenal casting of Johnny Depp and Christian Bale.

Johnny Depp portrays John Dillinger, an infamous bank robber who claimed his name to fame during the Great Depression. During his notorious bank raids, he earned a loving affection from the workingmen and women of America. His competition is that of Christian Bale, who plays Special Agent Melvin Purvis within the newly formed FBI. Throughout the film, the audience is privy not only to an amazing story but a series of technical masterpieces brought to life by veteran film director Michael Mann and cinematographer Dante Spinotti.

The movie begins during the prime of Dillinger’s popularity and ‘career’. Although there were a few holes in the film’s plot and your not allotted his complete back story, it’s nothing that takes away from the overall product. Depp does an exceptional job as Dillinger and really hones in on who this mysterious man really was. Every facial expression and tone of voice adds to Depp’s overall performance, accumulating to his already extensive track record as an actor. Bale also exceeds expectations by acting as if a hard-boiled, cold-hearted investigator was second nature. Purvis’s investigation with taking down Dillinger becomes something of an obsession and Bale absolutely nails it with true acting talent. But the real icing on the cake comes from the technical aspects of the film.

Although most casual movie-goers are inclined to ignore or not even focus on the technical side of films, the skill of production in ‘Public Enemies’ is what really gets you involved. Mann and Spinotti use a variety of camera angles to draw you into the film’s story. The camera ranges from a more personal handheld shot for those intense close-up action moments, giving you that rush of excitement, to long, scenic shots that really tug on those heartstrings. But more important is the style of lighting used in the movie. Mann mentally transports you to the 1930’s era, in the heart of the Great Depression. Every scene’s illumination is rich with its own character and personality, separating the film from any other competitor ‘the academy will absolutely love it’.

I encourage anyone and everyone to see this film. It is an absolute masterpiece and is destined to have some Oscar buzz surrounding it in the future. Grade: A Director: Michael Mann Runtime: 141 Minutes Cast: Johnny Depp, Christian Bale Release: July 1st, 2009 Rating: R for gangster violence and some language