One Tank Wonder: Put-In-Bay

Located only about an hour from Bowling Green, Put-In-Bay is easily one of the most entertaining and affordable summer vacation spots for University students.

The island’s many activities, events and attractions can provide fun for any individual’s interests. Musical performances occur on a daily basis at many of the taverns and pubs, but Put-In-Bay offers much more than an amazing bar scene. There are many historical attractions, sports and recreation opportunities as well as artwork on the island that will deliver hours of fun.

Visitors are able to rent golf carts, mo-peds and jet ski’s to explore the island. For people looking for more adventurous activities, parasailing and rock climbing are available.

It is important to realize that although a vacation on Put-In-Bay is affordable, prices are also a bit inflated. If drinking and dining are going to be important parts of your trip, make sure you pack extra money. Expect to pay around $5 per drink, although it is possible to find drink specials.

Another important aspect of the trip is finding the right place to stay. This is particularly important because island hotels are often booked and the last boat usually transports people back to the mainland at around midnight. So, unless it sounds appealing to sleep in a random yard with a high probability of being picked up by the police, I recommend a game plan. Hotels, Bed and Breakfast Inns, camping and even house rentals are available on the island, but if saving money is important, staying on the mainland might be the smart decision.

Top Places to Stay

Here are three of the most enjoyable places to stay while visiting Put-In-Bay Commodore Resort Reasons: Located Downtown, on-site restaurant and pool Bayshore Resort Reasons: Only Lakefront Hotel, two pools and a 30 person jacuzzi Edgewater Reasons: Located downtown, Suites feature a 135 foot deck overlooking downtown

Top Bars

If you plan on checking out the Put-In-Bay nightlife, here are the essentials. Mr. Ed’s Reasons: Roof top party deck, pool in Spring 2009 Put-In-Bay Brewing Co. Reason: They feature three original brews. Frosty Bar and Pizza Reasons: Large frosted mugs and great food ‘