Library funds cut

Library patrons across the state waited in anticipation of the final budget decisions, hoping their voices would be heard.

Gov. Ted Strickland announced a proposed cut of $227.3 million to the Ohio Public Library Fund last June, a cut that would have had a severe impact on libraries across the state. Supporters across the state contacted the Governor’s office and their local legislators, helping to reduce the cut to $84.3 million.

Executive Director of the Ohio Library Council Doug Evans said the OLC made a concerted effort to let patrons know about the initial proposal and the devastating impact a 30 percent cut would have on Ohio libraries and the people who use them.

‘There was an overwhelming grassroots support for the libraries and what they bring to their communities,’ Evans said. ‘The legislature and the governor’s office heard that loud and clear, and they were willing to take a look at the alternatives and pare back the proposed cuts.’

The cut is still going to have a definite impact, but it will not be nearly as bad as the initial proposal, Evans said.

With an already existing 20 percent budget cut, the new biennial budget cut of an additional 11 percent, has put serious financial constraints on the Ohio public library system Director of Wood County District Public Library Elaine Paulette said.

‘We’ve already made a number of cuts this year,’ Paulette said. ‘The staff has taken pay cuts. We’ve cancelled contracts. We’ve slashed the book budget. We’ve closed the library on Sundays throughout the summer. We increased the pay into our hospitalization insurance.’

Due to budget constraints, The WCDPL will temporarily close starting Aug. 9 through the 15 in hopes of saving costs and eliminating potential layoffs for staff members. Even though the library has seen an increase in visitors, the budget cuts made the week-long closure a necessary move.

‘When people needed to file for unemployment benefits, they had to do it online and not everyone has a home computer or Internet access,’ Paulette said. ‘So we’ve seen a great increase in traffic using our computers so that they can file for those benefits as well as apply for jobs.’

Wood County resident Christine Reed visits the WCDPL every day.

‘People need the library as a place to do work and study,’ Reed said.

For residents like Reed, libraries provide essential resources to individuals struggling in a poor economy.

‘I believe strongly that public libraries are part of individual Ohioans way out of this recession,’ Paulette said.

In order for libraries to continue providing for the public (including Wood County), patrons must show their continued support of libraries now more than ever.

‘The worst thing that could happen right now is that the legislature not hear from their constituents regarding the importance of public libraries,’ Evans said. ‘They need to continue to let them know that this is a valued service and, as they deal with budget issues in the coming months and year, that they want to make sure that public libraries continue to be supported.’

Further budget decisions will be made as the legislature will determine whether or not the projections made by the office or budget management will hold true.

‘When people see their local legislators in their district, they could reiterate how important the library is to their family and what a difference it makes to them,’ Paulette said.

Along with emotional ties, Paulette’s statements are backed up with statistics.

Rankings have been conducted throughout the nation by outside sources indicating Ohio libraries are premier services and continue to serve the community in a positive way, Evans said.

While rankings are important, the Ohio’s Public Libraries have a historic reputation both serving and entertaining the public and would only be detrimental for resources to be taken away, Evans said.

‘I think the whole array of services that are being offered has proven that Ohio’s libraries are the best in the country,’ he said.