Chipotle, meet the newest iTunes app sensation

Chipotle fanatics now have a new reason to crave its Mexican cuisine – jumping the line.

A new application for Chipotle Mexican Grill became available for Apple products Aug. 25. The Chipotle application, available for the iPhone and iPod Touch, enables users to place orders from their mobile devices and pick their orders up at their convenience.

The free application was downloaded 17,500 times in the first 24 hours, and by Aug. 26, was also the No. 2 Lifestyle application at the online iTunes Store.

The application is very similar to the online ordering option available at Chipotle.com. With both ordering options, users custom create their order, just as they would at the restaurant, and then pick it up at the Chipotle location of their choice. The application also shows users which Chipotle restaurants are nearest them based on GPS or Wi-Fi, depending on the mobile device.

a’It’s as easy as sending a text message,’ junior Rob Kramer said.

As an additional convenience, customers have the option to pay securely with a credit card when placing the order or at the time of pick-up. Another cool feature, according to Chipotle Public Relations Representative Jenna Simenic, is that customers don’t have to deal with waiting in line – they can go right to the register to pick up their order.

Kramer handles the online and application orders as ‘faxpeditor’ in charge of local business marketing for Bowling Green’s Chipotle. He said he has the application on his iPod Touch.

‘You can access it anywhere,’ Kramer said. ‘[Even] if you’re really craving Chipotle, but you’re in a hurry.’

Chipotle manager Amanda Hoehn said the on-the-go ordering options are super easy and make ordering food fun.

According to Simenic, Chipotle fans can also save their favorites, such as a type of burrito or taco, to make it even easier the next time they order.

‘It’s generating really positive reviews in the media and blogosphere,’ Simenic said.

Although the application is receiving positive feedback, Hoehn said the amount of incoming business from ordering alternatives is ‘not very much right now.’

‘Maybe 1 percent of our sales are from online ordering,’ Hoehn said.

According to Hoehn, those who utilize the online or application ordering programs are the younger demographic of customers who are busy or always on the go.

Additionally, Simenic said that while the restaurant has a wide range of customers, there’s a huge following of college-aged Chipotle-lovers.

‘So if you know you’re going to be starving after class, you can put your order in, put in your pick up time, and it will be ready,’ Simenic said.