Basterds’ offers ‘glorious’ cast, performances

For some filmmakers, the actual art of filmmaking is something that doesn’t come easy. It takes a certain measure of experience and talent to even begin to let it entertain the masses among the Hollywood film industry. For filmmaker Quentin Tarantino, however, a mastery of the film art was something that came quite quickly and easily. It’s his unique eye for cinema that has led him to craft such influential films as ‘Pulp Fiction,’ ‘Reservoir Dogs’ and ‘Kill Bill.’

While a short but distinguished list of film credits has established a unique blend of art and entertainment in his name, few filmmakers can attain the level of success that Tarantino has. His latest film is yet another testament to his exceptional skills at writing dialogue and crafting infectious characters to drive the story.

The newest story is ‘Inglorious Basterds.’ It features even more of that signature dialogue now being performed by a stand-out cast led by Brad Pitt. The story begins during World War II in German-occupied France where American Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Pitt) has organized a group of Jewish soldiers to evoke retribution from the despicable Nazi soldiers. Their gruesome acts have gained the group a fearsome reputation by being commonly referred to as ‘the Basterds.’

While the movie includes the suspense and anticipation of action that typically drive a Tarantino film, the characters featured in ‘Basterds’ are unlike any we’ve ever seen before. They’re polished, mindful to their purpose in the story and largely successful due to the performers. Hearing Pitt spew lines of Tarantino flare is not only lyrically magnificent, but it’s devilishly definitive to his unique presence.

Not to be outdone, however, is Christoph Waltz as Aldo’s nemesis, Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. As if you weren’t already hanging off every word of dialogue, Waltz portrays Landa with such a formidable coldness that you don’t find hatred for him simply because he wears a swastika on his uniform. For as alarmingly loathsome as he may be, his humor may help Waltz receive a few nominations come awards season.

Due to all of these incredible performances carrying such wonderful dialogue, there’s an intense emotion that rises and falls throughout each chapter of ‘Inglorious Basterds.’ Since it’s a Tarantino film, there is still that disturbing violence and strong language that inflicts fear and disgust with many unsuspecting viewers. Although you shouldn’t be so quick to call it his masterpiece, there’s no denying that Tarantino has once again given us a majestic mash-up of film brilliance that’s unlike anything we’ve ever seen before.