The Proposal’ lacks originality

Before I go off on a tangent about the faults of the film, let’s get a few things straight. The two stars in the movie, Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock, are class ‘A’ actors. I’m a huge fan of Reynolds and I think the man is absolutely hilarious. Bullock is a known Hollywood powerhouse and has proven again and again that she’s capable of flexing those acting muscles. Betty White even has a role, for crying out loud! But why put these talented people in a movie that’s complete garbage?

Ok, I’ll admit, I’m a sucker for a feel-good movie. There’s nothing quite like walking out of the theater and feeling a euphoric rush that allows you to feel at peace with the world. But let’s face it, that sensation lasts about as long as the ride back home, and the movie’s plot escapes you before you even make it to your car in the first place. ‘The Proposal’ is a prime example of this debauchery.”And although Reynolds and Bullock do share some great chemistry, their characters are far too static and barely progress at all as people.

Bottom line, this movie may have been slightly fun, but the pure lack of originality and creativity left me reaching for much, much more. Grade: D+ Director: Anne Fletcher Runtime: 108 min. Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, Betty White Release: June 19, 2009 Rating:’ PG-13 for sexual content and nudity