Men’s basketball defeats Drexel in season opener

The Bowling Green State mens basketball team defeated the Drexel Dragons in Philadelphia. The Falcons won by a score of 78-69.

“I am happy we were able to earn a tough road win at Drexel,” Falcons head coach Michael Huger said. “Our second-half defense was the key to victory. We will need that same defensive energy for Monday’s home opener against a veteran South Dakota team. We will need a full 40 minutes of relentless energy and focus in order to come away with a victory. I’m excited to see all our fans back in the Stroh Center.”

The Falcons were paced in this one by freshman guard Justin Turner, who had 33 points, seven assists, four rebounds, two steals and one block, with 19 of those points coming in the second half.

“He’s a very good player,” Huger said on Turner. “He can score at all levels. Shoot the three, put it on the floor, can be a good finisher. A very good defender. He’s one of our best perimeter defenders, and he did a great job on both ends, and I told you he was special, and I’m glad he proved me right tonight.”

Sophomore forward Demajeo Wiggins had 14 points and eight rebounds in the game to help out Turner and the Falcons.

“At halftime, we talked about adjustments that we had to make,” Huger said. “Williams had, I want to say, 16 at halftime, and we held him to two in the second half. We didn’t do a good job of boxing him out, and he was able to get a lot of tip-ins and put backs, so the biggest thing we talked about was that adjustment. Demajeo was doing a great job of stepping over to help, but the next guy wasn’t helping the helper, so we had to secure in the second half, and I think we did a really good job of cleaning that up, and our guys just just fought. You know the game’s never over ‘til it’s over.”

The Falcons next game is the home opener on Monday night against South Dakota. The game is at the Stroh Center.