Spacey’s assault allegations taint career

How do you reconcile the misbehavior of the people you idolize? That’s a question I’ve asked myself countless times. When you find out on SportsCenter your favorite athlete was arrested in a DUI case, it can be hard to look at that idol the same way.

When you come across a headline on Twitter that says one of your favorite celebrities has been accused of sexual misbehavior, your mind starts to experience all sorts of conflicting thoughts. You wonder whether or not that celebrity or role model is someone you can continue to admire and support.

I recently experienced this with the news involving actor Kevin Spacey.

The Oscar Award-winning performer is now the most recent recipient of sexual misconduct allegations. Actor Anthony Rapp claims that when he was 14, Spacey made sexual advances on him. Rapp, until recently, had never felt compelled enough to go public with the incident, but in light of the recent circumstances, it now seemed like as good a time as ever.

Since Harvey Weinstein, and previously Bill Cosby, was accused of sexual misconduct, an innumerable amount of individuals have come forward to share their own experiences regarding abuse or harassment.

The floodgates have opened on this issue, and it’s actually quite a good thing this misconduct has been brought to light. Victims of sexual abuse and other misconduct shouldn’t be afraid or ashamed to tell people what they’ve experienced. It takes courage to come forward about something so somber.

Spacey subsequently apologized for the alleged behavior, despite not even recalling the incident in question. Spacey attributes the actions in part to his problems with alcoholism, and admits it was “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”

I completely respect Spacey’s decision to promptly apologize for behavior that may or may not have happened. He took accountability and expressed his respect for Rapp.

What came next in his apology, however, was more perplexing. He shifted the focus of the apology (which was released through Spacey’s Twitter account) to his own much-speculated sexuality. He clarified by saying he has chosen “now to live as a gay man.”

Spacey’s sexuality has always been somewhat reserved. His alcoholism has been known in some measure or another, but he has been rather aloof about his sexual orientation. He is now out and in the open to us all.

Spacey is someone I have always admired as an actor. He’s historically respected in his industry, has starred in a number of great Broadway productions and films (including some of my personal favorites, like “A Time to Kill,” “Se7en” and “Pay It Forward”). As a movie nerd, I’m enamored by his celebrity impressions.

That being said, Spacey’s apology was less than ideal, and that pains me to say. He may have engaged in inappropriate behavior, yet he has distracted the focus away from what’s important. It took Rapp 31 years to go public about this, and now a large portion of the media has made the story about Spacey’s coming out.

While I commend Spacey for coming clean about a part of his life that is none of our concern, it has now shifted some of the attention away from the issue of sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry.

The news of Spacey’s alleged actions has confounded me, but it won’t affect my admiration of him. I will still admire his talent and abilities as an actor, yet I will always look back on his apology thinking he could have done better.