Reviewing Bagels at Einstein Bros. Bagels

I challenged myself to try all of Einstein Bros. Bagels because I tend to stick with my safe menu option. I realized that I needed to change when I walked into the restaurant and the cashier knew my name and my exact order. 

I love bagels and have a big soft spot for Zingerman’s Bagels in Ann Arbor, MI. I’d argue Einstein Bagels or any nationwide bagel brand would have a difficult time being truly authentic. 

Einstein Bros. Bagels on campus doesn’t provide a list of bagels on the BGSU Dining website, but you can see them in person or by calling their phone number. Their bagel options are: asiago, blueberry, cinnamon raisin, cinnamon sugar, chocolate chip, cheesy hashbrown, everything, plain, sesame seed and six cheese. 

As a resident student on campus and bagel-lover who has achieved her goal to eat every kind of bagel on campus, I ranked the bagels served at Einstein Bros. 

Options I love: 

Chocolate Chip 

I once joked with a cashier that when I ordered a chocolate chip bagel with a hot chocolate, I hoped for death by chocolate. This bagel has an even spread of chocolate chips throughout the bagel that are enough to give you that warm melted chocolate flavor. 

Cinnamon Raisin 

These bagels have a nice cinnamon flavor throughout, but tend to skimp out on the raisins so you can pretend that you’re getting a healthy option for breakfast. 

Blueberry 

This bagel really surprised me because it was the one I was most hesitant to try. I loved the sweetness of the blueberries combined with the cold cream cheese.

Options I could try again: 

Everything 

I’ve tried all the bagel options on campus, and I’d rank the Starbucks Everything Bagel higher than Einstein’s because the seeds tend to stick less to this bagel. The dried onion flavor also sometimes is a bit too powerful. 

Six Cheese and Cheesy Hashbrown 

If you’re looking for a more filling bagel, these are two great options. I thought that both were quite tasty and had a unique flavor I hadn’t tried before. Towards the end of the six cheese bagel, I felt overwhelmed by the amount of dairy.

Asiago 

This bagel has chunks of asiago cheese inside and outside of the bagel. It’s a savory option for breakfast, but it wasn’t my favorite. I thought, though, it added a nice savory flavor to my breakfast. 

Plain and Sesame Seed 

These bagels are exactly what you would anticipate them to taste like, but are still comforting nonetheless. In my opinion, they’re best warmed in the toaster with a good plain schmear. It’s hard to mess up a plain bagel. 

Options I won’t order again:

Honey Wheat

The texture of the wheat really changed the flavor and experience of eating this bagel. It was quite bland to me, so I didn’t find it very interesting. It’s a good choice if you want something simple, aside from a plain bagel.

Cinnamon Sugar 

This was my least favorite bagel at Einstein Bros. Bagels; not because of the flavoring, but because of the excessive amount of sugar on the outside, leaving the customer with lots of sugar all over their lips with every bite. This would make a great donut, but the amount of sugar and lack of interior flavor left me wanting more.