Volleyball: Falcons (1-2) Lose a Close One to Notre Dame (4-0)

The Falcons took on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame tonight at the Stroh Center in front of many BGSU faithful. 

The non-conference slate for the volleyball team has proven to be anything but easy and tonight was no exception. Coming into the match Notre Dame had a record of 4-0 and had only lost 3 sets the whole season. Coming out of a very good volleyball conference the Fighting Irish experience proved to be too much for the young Falcon team. 

The Fighting Irish dropped the Falcons in three straight sets to improve to 5-0 on the season while Bowling Green drops to 1-3. There were encouraging signs from the Falcons as they battled through and through with the tough Notre Dame team. Their efforts fell short but there is plenty of positives to take away from the game. 

In the first set, Bowling saw themselves get behind Notre Dame early but they battled back and ultimately got the set back to within three. Unfortunately, it was a little too late as Notre Dame took set one by a score of 25-21. 

The first set would be the closest the Falcons would get to Notre Dame on the night, in terms of ending set scores, but the team battled throughout.

In the second set, Bowling Green seemed to get close, but every time they did Notre Dame would go on a run. Coach Tomic said after the game that one aspect they have to work on is eliminating teams getting on runs. The Falcons fell in the second set by a score of 25-19.

Coming out of the locker room in the third set, it seemed like the Falcons were ready to once again battle with Notre Dame. With the first point ending after a long rally going to BG. The Falcons would take their biggest lead of the night in the third set but Notre Dame fought back and ended up winning the third set by a score of 25-17. 

On the night Junior Madeline Brandewie and sophomore Jessi Holly topped the Falcons offense with six kills each. Isabelle Marciniak had 27 assists on BG’s 30 kills, she also added 8 digs, one service ace, and one block. 

The Falcons next game is tomorrow night at 7:00 PM at the Stroh Center. The game can be caught on FalconRadio which is on www.Bgrso.net.