Volleyball Comes Away 1-2 in VCU Invitational

The Bowling Green State University Volleyball team traveled to Richmond, Virginia to take part in the VCU Invitational. The Falcons would come out of the weekend with one win and two losses after facing some very competitive competition. 

After arriving and checking into their hotel on Thursday Night the Falcons would have all-day to prepare for the host team the VCU Rams. The Falcons would end up coming into the game and capture an early lead vs the Rams in set number one. Although, after a timeout called by VCU it seemed to all go downhill for the Falcons against the Rams. The Falcons would fall against a very tough VCU team, a team that has improved since the Falcons faced the, last year at home. BG would fall three sets to none.

In match number two the Falcons would come out and play Northwestern a little tougher in set number one, but eventually falling 25-21. Set number two was much like the first match against VCU in which the Falcons could not seem to find their identity as a team and would end up not finding any rhythm falling in set two by double digits. In set three it was a mixture of good and bad from the Falcon team. They showed flashes of brilliance while also reverting back to making errors and giving Northwestern free points. The Falcons would drop three sets to none in match number two as well. 

Match three was the best match of the Falcon all weekend. They found themselves in a battle with Seton Hall who had played Northwestern tough the day before and just came off a five set thriller against VCU in the match right before. The Falcons would find themselves down early and in a two to nothing hole after the first two sets. In set number three the Falcons came to play. They would take set three 25-17. In set four the Falcons found themselves up five and had two points till set point. The Pirates would make a come back and push the set to extra volleyball. The Falcons would rally to win 27-25 to force a fifth set. The Falcons then would carry that momentum into the fifth set and take the match with a fifth set score of 15-12 over Seton Hall. With this win it marked the 700th victory in program history. 

Additionally, on the weekend Kallie Seimet would set a program record for digs, while Madeline Brandewie would earn a spot on All-Tournament Team. 

On the weekend the Falcons finished with a 1-2 record and their overall record moves to  4-7. This weekend marked the last of non-conference play for the Falcons. They open up MAC play on the road at the defending MAC Champions Miami RedHawks on Thursday at 7 PM.