Shining a light on energy efficiency

An energy efficient lighting option is available to low-income families through the Wood, Seneca, Ottawa and Sandusky Community Action Agency.

In partnership with Efficiency Smart, WSOS “provides five CFLs [compact fluorescent lights] to income-qualified Bowling Green Municipal Utilities electric customers,” according to a press release on its website. 

The goal is to help community members spend less on electric bills. 

WSOS says on their press release CFLs “use 70 percent less energy and last up to 10 times longer than incandescent light bulbs.”

Those interested in free light bulbs can reach WSOS at (419)-353-7407, and each household is able to receive one set of light bulbs every 6 months.

“We are meeting people where their needs are,” said Alex Boroff, executive assistant at WSOS.  

The agency offers assistance to residents in northern Ohio, and helps local community members rise out of poverty. According to the WSOS website, this agency was created from the Economic Opportunity Act as an anti-poverty program, and has been active for more than 50 years. 

In those 50 years, WSOS has created other energy-efficient programs. It offers weatherization treatments for homeowners who are 200 percent of the poverty level. 

“WSOS adds insulation to the walls, exchange light bulbs for more efficient ones, upgrade or replace the water heater,” Boroff said. 

This ensures houses have no leakage and therefore, save money. 

There is a “scientific measure to test the work done by WSOS,” Boroff said. “You wouldn’t think that providing insulation would be of benefit to people struggling with poverty, but it is. They are spending less on a utility bill every month.” 

WSOS provides more than energy efficiency programs, though. Head Start is a program that offers pre-schooling to children who may not have accessible schools in their area, whether they live in cities or rural communities

“Head Start is not just a child learning in the classroom; it encourages family involvement,” Boroff said. 

Head Start can also benefit non-traditional college students who may have children. Eligibility is determined by income. 

WSOS programs change per county, depending on need and funding. All programs can be found on the WSOS website. Applications and eligibility requirements per program are also found there.