Relationship tips for those afraid to commit

Have you ever dated? Have you ever craved companionship? Have you ever thought “I would love it if someone were here with me right now?” 

As human beings, we have all felt this way at some point or another in our lives. Committing to being in a relationship can be a big decision, but the thought of having a partner can be beneficial to our lives.  

If it’s beneficial, then why are there so many people that are currently single and people that despise being in relationships? Well, it goes back to a word I just said a moment ago: commitment. Yes, commitment. Humans are afraid of commitment, humans don’t feel like obligating to commitment and humans just aren’t interested in commitment. Commitment, not just in a relationship – but with anything, can be a big part of life and some dislike it. 

One big issue with commitment is that humans “don’t know what they want” in situations so they would rather not commit and settle for just one thing. On the other hand, people also want to be loved and feel loved by that one special person in their lives. 

Humans simply can’t commit, especially at an immature age. Many even complain that they’re single, yet have issues committing to just one person. If people could commit more, more people would be happier in their personal lives. They’d have the steady companionship of another, while sharing their life with someone that cares for them in an intimate way. 

Finding out what you want in a person is similar to finding out what you want in food. There’s many foods you want to try, but you always know which is your favorite. What clicks to you. This is pretty much the same case when looking for a relationship. What makes you tick? What makes you laugh? What gives you a thrill. Maybe you’re the type of person who gets a thrill of casually going on dates with strangers. Regardless, finding that special someone shouldn’t be a chore—even though most of us make it a chore. 

Looking for a relationship? Here are my tips to you: Be with someone who can make you stand out. Someone who will make you shine. Someone who will make you better. Someone who shares similar views and mindset, but with different interests. Having things in common is nice, but opposites attract. You may even sync with someone who’s completely different than you. Having too many mutual interests could make things dull over time. The relationship would get boring and the thrill would suddenly start to decrease because with no differences, there are no surprises. 

Your location may even play a part in your romantic life. Maybe you attend a small college in a small town where there isn’t much diversity for you. Maybe your college is diverse, but it resides in a small town where people still have warped opinions on social norms and gender roles. Maybe you’re a member of the LGBTQ+ community and most people in your community live a closeted closed off life. There are many reasons why you may not be where you want right now. The main point here is to not give up, ecause you never know when romance may smack you right in the face. 

Reply to Torrance at