Womens basketball falls against WMU

A great shooting display by Western Michigan was too much to overcome for the BGSU women’s basketball as the team fell on the road by a score of 75-58 on Wednesday night. The team is now 0-2 in Mid-American Conference play.

Freshmen guard Andrea Cecil was the only player to score in double digits with 13 points. Junior guard Rachel Myers also managed to score eight points for the Falcons. The starting lineup combined for just 24 points on the day.

“It was a struggle throughout most of the game,” said BGSU head coach Jennifer Roos. “They had a hot shooting start and we kept digging ourselves in a hole with many turnovers and missed a lot open shots. We gave up many easy baskets I felt that we could’ve been better, but give full credit to Western Michigan they’re a talented team.

Western Michigan started out 6-for-6 shooting the ball in the first four minutes of the game as they held a commanding 12-3 lead over BG. Turnovers and blocked shots haunted the Falcons as they were unable to get easy baskets when driving to the lane. BG managed to score only eight points the rest of the way and Western Michigan lead 19-11 after the first.

In the second quarter, Western Michigan would go on an 8-2 run as they would constantly give easy layups and uncontested jumpers. Junior guard Haley Puk would try to cut the deficit into single digits following a driving layup and a three point shot. The Broncos still led 27-16 with five minutes left in the second quarter. Western Michigan would keep on pressuring the Falcon’s defense with their aggressive play as they were able to get easy layups in transitions and got to the free throw line quite often in the second quarter. Western Michigan would go into the half with a 39-24 lead over BG.

Western Michigan shot 50 percent in field goals in the first half while BG would only manage to shoot 26.7 percent in the first half.

In the third quarter, Western Michigan would get off to another successful start by going on a 10-3 run in the first four minutes of the game only increasing their lead by a score of 49-27. BG would try to get back in the game with baskets of their own, but the Broncos kept responding as they were able to withstand their big lead by a score of 59-38 after the end of the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, The Falcons would try to get back in the game by getting early baskets from freshmen guards Andrea Cecil and Caterrion Thompson. However, Western Michigan would get their lead up to as many as 28 points by leading 72-44 with six minutes left to go. Coach Roos would empty out the bench in the final minutes of play as BG would take another loss on the road.

“We’ve got work to do and I feel that there’s a lot of time to get this season turned around and that starts with our three-game home stand coming up,” Roos said. “I’m confident that the players will regroup and be ready to roll on Saturday.”

BGSU will look to bounce back at home against the Central Michigan Chippewas on Saturday afternoon with tipoff beginning at 2:30 p.m.