Gymnasts struggle over spring break, drop third straight meet

Over the break, the Bowling Green gymnastics team dropped two meets against West Virginia and Kent State.

The Mountaineers downed the Falcons 194.725 to 191.550 in Morgantown on Sat. March 6.

West Virginia dominated the meet, winning every event of the day.

Breanne Guy had a solid day for the Falcons, finishing second on the beam with a 9.825, en route to finishing second in the overall competition. Guy also took fourth place on the bars.

Danielle Wishart tied for fourth on the beam with a 9.750.

Dawn Christman was the only other Falcon to place in the top three in any event, as she scored a 9.725, giving her a second-place tie on the floor.

Kasey Fillmore took fourth place in the event with a 9.625.

The Flashes were too much to handle, as they bumped themselves into the top of the Mid-American Conference standings, defeating BG 195.275 to 191.200 in Kent on Sun. March 14.

It was much of the same as Kent also dominated the match facing the Falcons, winning every event.

BG now holds an overall record of 5-6 on the season.

The loss against Kent State was the Falcons’ first MAC loss of the season. Before the meet, BG and Kent shared MAC standings of 4-0.

Kent remains the leader in the MAC, and BG holds a firm grip on second place.

Wishart took first place on the vault scoring a 9.875 and also placed third on the floor with a 9.825.

Fellow freshman Monica Eaton was the only Falcon to place in the top three in the bars as she took third in the event. Guy placed third in the beam with a 9.700.

The Falcons play host to Central Michigan this Sunday at Anderson Arena in their last meet before the MAC championships on March 27, which are also being held in BG.

Editor’s note: Both meets took place over spring break.