Soak up spring with homemade facials and scrubs

The thermometer is finally starting to read temperatures that don’t belong to the Artic that we’ve come to terms within Ohio, and all over campus, students are emerging from their Ugg-boots-and-BG-sweats hibernation outfits. To be quite honest, I’m not sure it’s warm enough for some of the booty-revealing short shorts and the barely-there flyaway skirts I’ve been seeing around campus, but I guess once the temps hit 50, you might as well declare the University a full-fledged, summer-obsessed disaster zone.

Instead of fighting it, I donned the season’s first pair of flip flops, and convinced myself that the sun shining on my feet was making them warmer than they felt. I also had to convince myself to do a little sprucing to the terribly pale and much ignored feet I had been hiding all winter.

In honor of spring (and less clothing on campus in general), I’ve compiled a few food-based recipes that will get your skin all ready to be bared. Keep in mind, food only goes on parts of your body–not in them.

Tomato Facial Mask

1 tomato (Outtakes has canned)

1 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. instant oatmeal

Put all of the ingredients into a blender, and puree them together until smooth.

Slather all over your face and let it soak in for about 20 minutes. The acid in the tomato and the lemon is great for oily skin and other blemishes, and the oatmeal reveals the pretty skin stuck below the surface of the dry skin. Rinse with plenty of warm water.

Milk and Water Foot Soak

7 cups of water

2 cups of milk

For pretty, soft and touchable feet, mix water and milk in a pot on the stove or in a Tupperware bowl in the microwave. Heat the mixture to as hot as you can stand it, but please don’t go all XXX and try to prove you’re awesome because you can stand such high temperatures. Once heated, put the milk mixture in large bowl and soak your feet in it for at least 10 minutes. After you’ve enjoyed your soak, rinse your tootsies with clear water and pat dry. Lotioning after this process seals in the moisture.

Brown Sugar Scrub

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup oil

1 tsp. vitamin E (You can get this by cutting open a couple Vitamin E liquid gel caps)

1/2-1 tsp. vanilla extract

To make this sweet smelling and really easy body scrub, simply mix the ingredients together. The vitamin E and vanilla extract are extras, so if you can’t get your hands on either one, no worries. The best oil to use is almond oil, but seeing as that can get really pricy, any oil you can get your hands on should do the trick. After washing in the shower, rub the scrub on your skin from head to toe. Rinse with cooler water and pat dry for best end results.