Lambert finds life success through game of golf

“You must accept your triumphs and disappointments equally. There is nothing guaranteed in golf or in life.”

This beautifully simplistic quote, written by the late legendary golf instructor Harvey Penick, served as an anchor for golfer Hannah Lambert as she finished her last competitive round as a Falcon.

“I just kept repeating those words over and over throughout the round,” Lambert said. “It really helped keep me calm and relaxed.”

Lambert’s peaceful demeanor certainly paid off at the MAC Championships two Sundays ago, as she overcame an opening round of 90 to close out her career with an 83.

The scoring progression was certainly appropriate for an individual who finds pure joy in the day-to-day process of subtle improvement.

Coach Stephanie Young related a story from Lambert’s freshman year that perfectly summed up this attitude.

It was April of 2007, and at that point in her career, Hannah was not ready to travel with the team on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, Young had left her a list of items to work on while the Falcons were away for the weekend.

However, as random Ohio weather would have it, a freak winter storm arrived that weekend, blanketing much of the state with accumulating snow.

Undaunted by the conditions, Hannah (along with a teammate) dutifully went out to Forrest Creason Golf Course to practice.

After a phone call from the course director to inform Young that two of her freshmen were playing by themselves in the snow, a shocked Young said while she appreciated the effort, it would be quite all right if they stopped.

“Incidents like that just show what kind dedication Hannah has,” Young said. “I knew from that day forward that she had something very special inside.”

Lambert was introduced to golf at a very young age by her father, Bruce, and ever since their evenings spent chipping together in the backyard, her passion for the game continues to blossom.

“My dad told me that if I played golf, it needed to be because I loved the sport,” Lambert said. “He never once forced me to play; I always looked forward to going out and practicing. I just really thank him for allowing me to enjoy the game and be free with it.”

Outside the ropes, Lambert devours golf books, always eager to absorb any morsel of inspiration or advice.

On the course, she has been what Young calls “one of the most coachable student-athletes I have ever had.”

After admittedly being overwhelmed during her freshman year and struggling to a scoring average of 97, Lambert resolved to doing whatever was necessary to improve for her sophomore year.

“I was really nervous during most of my freshman year, and I think that held me back playing-wise,” Lambert said. “I just tried to relax and focus on doing whatever was necessary to getting better every day.”

Her sophomore season represented a complete turnaround.

She shaved 12 strokes off her freshman average to improve to 85.17. Since then, she has been a mainstay in the Falcon starting lineup, traveling regularly with the team and serving as a solid rock for Young to count on.

“Hannah has brought so many intangible factors to our team,” Young said. “Her contributions are impossible to quantify with statistics. She has always shown up and done whatever we have asked of her. She has been extremely selfless from day one.”

A devout Christian who regularly attends Bible study, Lambert said her spiritual growth has undoubtedly helped with golf.

“I realized that I am not playing golf just for myself, or for my family and teammates,” Lambert said. “I am also playing for God. That has helped my outlook on the game tremendously.”

That assertion helps reveal that there is far more to Lambert than just golf. She is an extremely gifted and diligent student who will graduate cum laude this weekend with a degree in architecture.

Up next is graduate school at Ohio State University, which Hannah hopes will be the next step in her dream of one day becoming a golf course designer.

“Academic success is a very high priority for coach Young,” Lambert said. “Every year we set a team GPA goal as well [as an] individual GPA. I have always seen school as a personal challenge to try and do my best with whatever is put in front of me.”

Lambert is active in a myriad of campus activities. The notables include Kappa Phi, Mortar Board Honor Society, Athletes in Action, and the Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

She has also studied abroad in London and Paris, and was named to the 2010 “Who’s Who” among students in American Colleges and Universities.

“Coming into college, I knew I wanted to get involved and I’m very happy that I did,” Lambert said. “I have gotten to meet so many different people and go through so many different amazing experiences.”

This Saturday, almost two weeks to the day after finishing her golf career, Lambert will conclude her academic career at BG when she receives her diploma.

As the first graduate to spend four full years under her direction, Young said watching Lambert walk across the stage is sure to be a bittersweet moment.

“Watching Hannah grow into the fine young woman she has become has been a special experience,” Young said. “I am certainly going to miss her, but I am also extremely proud of her and excited about all that lies ahead in her life. She has meant a great deal to me and the rest of the team.”

Due to the richness of her college experience, both on and off the course, Lambert expects to be fully prepared for whatever life’s journey has in store — whether it involves triumph or disappointment.

“Bowling Green has been a wonderful, perfect fit in so many ways,” Lambert said. “From an athletic, academic and social standpoint, I don’t think I could have made a better decision.”