Pants-sagging trend moves from behind prison bars to mainstream society

Originally, sagging pants was something that started behind bars, but it has moved out of the big house and into the public.

According to Shamontiel Vaughn, writer for associatedcontent.com, in an article about sagging pants, it started in prison because the inmates were given clothes that tended to be too large, and for fear of suicides and the possibility of the belt becoming a weapon, they were not allowed belts either.

Generic clothes that are too big combined with a lack of belts and the result is sagging pants.

Eventually sagging moved into the public sphere where it was popularized by hip-hop artists, according to Vaughn. When it entered mainstream fashion, people began to sag.

“It’s all about comfort,” said junior Emanuel Ramsey. “I think that people have a negative perception of it.”

Ramsey sags his pants out of personal preference, not to affiliate with any group of people. One of his high school teachers threatened to kick him out of class if he did not pull up his pants, due to dress code violation.

Despite that, Ramsey still sags his pants.

But not all students agree.

“I don’t want to see your underwear,” said sophomore Jessica Myers.

She said sagging pants shows something that should not be shown.

“I think they’re trying to draw attention to themselves,” Myers said. “I remember people in elementary school doing it.”

Senior Brandon Sauls does not sag. He said he thinks sagging was something that was most popular in the 90’s but now has become common place.

“I’ve seen six layers of sagging in the 90’s, that person must have been really warm,” Sauls said.

Junior Chris Carter described himself as, “very traditional.” He doesn’t sag, and he thanks his mother for that.

“I think it is important to know where it [sagging] came from,” Carter said.

Carter said sagging is something that symbolizes poverty. Due to lack of money, families could not afford proper fitting clothes, and just handed clothes down.

“If you see someone sagging, don’t judge them based on their appearance,” he said.