Emotions were high at viewing party

Student Greg Litzenberg has been working for Gov. Ted Strickland’s campaign for five months before attending the democratic watch party at the Cla-Zel Theater Tuesday night.

But as the big screen displaying MSNBC’s coverage showed the results were “too close to call” when polls closed, Litzenberg couldn’t help but feel nervous, he said.

Over 100 people, including many members from the ONE Bowling Green Campaign, filed into the theater after the polls closed to watch the coverage with an open bar and free food.

Like Litzenberg, tense nerves were evident of many people at the party, nervous about possible losses in the House and Senate seats to the opposing party.

“If I thought we were going to win, I’d be out getting drunk right now,” he said, wearing a baseball tee that read “Good Ol’ Strickland,” he received from volunteering for the campaign.

But with his skepticism, he still said he felt he had a responsibility to the people who are less fortunate than him with his right to vote.

“There are people really hurting right now,” he said, which motivated him to go to the polls.

Litzenberg had many other factors go into deciding his vote, which he cast early. He said he wishes to see strengthening in green energy jobs and break dependency on oil.

“I want to see Toledo become the solar capital of the world,” Litzenberg said.

Many key issues prompted students to vote, like student Sabrina Boykin. She said voting was important for graduating college students and in an attempt to keep jobs in the area.

The library levy on the ballot was an important issue students felt passionate about.

“If we can’t keep our libraries open, we’re screwed,” Litzenberg said.

Student Elyse Faulk said the library was one of the most important issues.

“We all got our first books at libraries,” said Faulk. “Hour cuts would affect those who don’t live on campus.”

Bowling Green Democrats President Dominic Wells said the public school system was his main priority when he cast his vote a month ago because he has family members who work in the school system.

Ordinances 7905 and 7906, campaigned for by the ONE Campaign, were also a hot topic at the viewing party. Members of the group took the stage at one point to give speeches and thank the many people who helped with the campaign.

“The BG community sets a tone for the rest of the state,” Faulk added. “We care about our community, and we don’t discriminate.”