How well do you know Bowling Green State University?

Freddie Falcon made his debut on Jan. 16, 1950, at a men’s basketball game.

The Alpha Phi Omega fraternity is credited with creating Freddie, according to the Falconer, a book put together by the Office of Student Affairs. Fraternity member Bob Taylor donned the first Freddie outfit (which was essentially a paper mache head).

Freddie’s wife, Mrs. Freddie Falcon, appeared in 1966 played by a male cheerleader. But Mrs. Freddie Falcon never became Frieda Falcon.

The women’s basketball team, during the early 1970s, invented Frieda Falcon so a mascot would attend women’s sports events, because Freddie never went, according to the Falconer.

The University officially appointed Frieda as a mascot in 1980.

SICSIC was founded at a 1 a.m. meeting

At 12:45 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 5, 1946, six students met at University President Frank Prout’s house.

About two hours later, students in residence halls were awakened by someone on the PA system announcing the formation of a new organization on campus — a secret organization, called SIC SIC.

Prout originally created the group “to develop campus spirit and support worthwhile activities,” according to The History of Bowling Green State University, by James Overman.

Prout asked the students individually to be a part of the secret spirit group. Among them were two sophomores, two juniors and two seniors.

That format continues today.

Gilbert Fox, a World War II veteran, served as a bombardier in Italy before enrolling at Bowling Green State College in 1944.

When he arrived, he also brought his version of a zulu chant to campus, according to the Falconer, a book put together by the Office of Student Affairs.

Fox rewrote the words to apply to his school, and in 1946 the chant officially became the school’s unofficial fight song, “Ay Ziggy Zoomba.”

The Alma Mater and Forward Falcons, however, are native to the University.

Ernest G. Hesser, an instructor in music, composed the original alma mater, “We Hail You, Dear Normal College,” in 1914, according to The History of Bowling Green State University, by James Overman. The song’s title changed in 1929 when the school became Bowling Green College.

In 1954, a student council request for an update to the song turned into a five-year contest. A new song was composed and sung each year, and at the end of the contest, a committee voted on the choices. On May 19, 1960, Edith Ludwig Bell’s composition became the official alma mater.

Wayne Bohrnstedt, music instructor, composed “Forward Falcons” in 1949.